Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help no brakes

Terry
Terry Member Posts: 186
in THIS INDUSTRY ??!??

who needs brakes ?!

jka
EIN

Comments

• MIKE6
    MIKE6 Member Posts: 102
    Help no brakes

I need help.i'm so busy working I don't have time to have my mechanic put brakes on my truck.So like a dope I tried to do them myself.I've done this before but never had this problem.I installed the drivers side front pads no problem.I now can't push the caliper back,on the passenger side.I have a C clamp on it but it doesn't move.any ideas?
    mike
  • Eric_20
    Eric_20 Member Posts: 3
    you will have to replace that caliper or

take to a mechanic and have them. if that thing is stuck now and tou are able to free it, it may stick again at a bad time.
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

See if the master cylinder is full. When you pushed back the driver's side caliper, you may have forced allthe fluid back to the master cylinder reservoir, which will not allow the other piston to be pushed back.

I've found that even badly cocked pistons can be freed with a standard 10 or 12 inch C clamp. And I've never had a leaker yet. Did I mention that I do ALL of my own maintenance (non warranty) on all of my own collector cars, daily drivers and work trucks? In another life, I was a certified mechanic.
  • Uni R
    Uni R Member Posts: 663
    Loosen the cap..

Loosen the cap on the master cylinder if you haven't done so already. The irony of reading your post right after comments about "non-professionals" buying HVAC equipment on E-bay and installing it themselves is not missed.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Sometimes cracking the bypass on the master cylinder will

take the "lock up" out of that tandem cylinder line....older internationals were famous for that ..i'd crack the line to that cylinder, some older vehicles have a diverter type "T" at the back along the rear axle... you can be sure though if neither of the lines will allow the c clamp to compress the cylinder it isindeed in need of a rebuild ...new hoses for the front is cheap at half the price...i have an olds straight 8 i will let you work on next :) it has kingpin assemblys ;)
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

I am no stranger to kingpins. Bring em on.
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Ditto

The irony is ironic.

Take it to Midas or one of the similar chains. It costs you more in loss of billable hours than it does to have someone fix it for you. Do the math.
  • Bruce M.
    Bruce M. Member Posts: 143
    How about telling us the year and make of the truck

This discussion has been closed.