Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Load Calc Software

John_87
John_87 Member Posts: 1
I'm trying to find a good load calc program and wanted to see what other people are using and how they like it. Also if anybody has a good dispatching program that info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    oops double post

• Cosmo_3
    I have 3

For general heat loss calcs, I use the free slant-fin software on small baseboard remodel jobs, or when I am just double checking my main software- Wrightsoft. I love my Wrightsoft program, I can quickly draw a building into the cad program, draw windows, doors, and describe the building levels and it will take care of Manual-J calcs for me with everything I need including Radiant, and A/C. It is however a little pricey, and there was definitely a learning curve for me anyway.

I also have the Wirsbo (oops, Uponor) ADS software I use on every big radiant job.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    You could also consider

... HVAC-Calc, a fairly complete heat-loss and gain program if the majority of your work has to do with air-based systems. While it's only Manual-J, 7th ed., it should do the trick for most people. For a more comprehensive review, check out my review in on the Job section.
  • wrightsoft 6.0

Hey Cosmo,

Have you seen the latest verion 6.0????

Cooooooooooooooooooooooool!

wheels
  • Cosmo_3
    What do you think

I got the email from Wrightsoft, and I did'nt hesitate for a couple bucks it cost. I would like to spend some time fooling around with it to see all the new stuff, but when I need to use it I am usually in a hurry. Hey I just talked to heatboy today....when are we gonna get together for some beer and dinner dude

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305

I use Wrightsoft for heat loads, radiant, and A/C. I have tried HVAC-Calc and it always "feels" way to light on the A/C end. Baseboard calcs are good, but not A/C. When you call HVAC-Calc for support, it is very difficult to get answers. Don is not much of a people person. When you call Wrightsoft you get great support....
  • Mr. Blonde
    Mr. Blonde Member Posts: 38

Can Wrightsoft figure loads when using icynene or how can you compensate for it?
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Interesting question...

... I have not used Wrightsoft, but since the only thermal difference between Icynene and FG is the infiltration/convection rate, I'd like to think that using an equivalent FG thickness would be fairly close to the mark, if a bit conservative.

In HVAC-Calc, you can adjust the infiltration rate of the home manually. Presumably, the same thing can be done with Wrightsoft.
This discussion has been closed.