Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burham Boiler problem with aquastat

Options
Tom_56
Tom_56 Member Posts: 7
I live in NJ and just had a a Burnham boiler (model =
204BCL-TEi2)installed. After 4 visits, the contractor still cannot get the well to exceed 180 deg. He replaced the Honeywell? aquastat 4 times to no avail. He "fixed" it by mouting a honeywell strap-on aquastat about 40" above the boiler, on the outbound pipe. Not only does contractor believe he fixed it, Burnham wrote me a letter accepting
this.

Can ANYONE endorse this jury-rig. I am living in aquastat hell and cannot believe Burnham would support this. There is no logical reason that the operating specs, efficiency etc. would be the same with a remote aquastat.

Thoughts?

Thanx, Tom.

Comments

• A few things

Is the contractor sure the temperature gage is accurate ? Did he use other means to measure the temp ? And did he change the well the aquastat probe sits in ? Did he make sure the bulb of the aquastat was all the way in the well ? You can change the aquastat alot of times , but if the well has a ding in it somewhere the bulb will not go past that point .

From my past experience I'll guess its a faulty temp gage , or a dirty or bent up well . Chances are nil it was 4 bad aquastats in a row . Personal preference for me would have the aquastat in the boiler block , where it's supposed to be , but if Burnham says the strap on is ok , then it's ok .
  • STEVE N
    STEVE N Member Posts: 48
    Options
    I can't

endorse that its a jury rig, but I would want the aquastat in the boiler block. I know this aquastat is only really a high limit, but you just bought a new boiler and it should be showroom perfect regardless what Burnham will accept. Chances are the guage may be off. Was the actual temp taken with a quality digital thermometer? They also send a heat conducting paste that should be installed in the well. The probe also does have to be inserted all the way in. If it were me... I would be abit suspicious too.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.