Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No. 6 fuel oil

Thomas Manz
Thomas Manz Member Posts: 1
I'm looking for a technical reference on handling this heavy, tar-like fuel oil. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Tom.

More of a general reference see.....

http://www.kamcontact.nl/produkt/steam/fuel/fuel_yellow.htm

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099

Try the American Petroleum Institute, or post this question on www.oiltechtalk.com. I remember that stuff had to be heated to 100 degress to be liquid, usually by steam coils in the tank, and the preheated to 300 degrees before being blown into the combustion chamber and ignited. All the pipelines & tanks were insulated and steam-traced, the pre-heaters in the boiler room were usually a nightmare to maintain. That fuel had a high btu content, and was usually burned in utility generating stations, ships, and big industrial plants. Messy to work with, though.
  • Firedragon_4
    Firedragon_4 Member Posts: 1,436
    This is an invaluable

resource and a must for any oilman.

http://www.industrialpress.com/en/Item.asp?BookID=33

They have sometimes shown up on e-bay too!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

#6 great stuff. The next thing to roofing tar.

Normal tank temperature for pumping is 90-110 deg-depends on the oil. If you get it too hot the pumps may cavitate.

This is accomplished by using a heater in the oil tank(steam or HW Coil) if using steam the condensate is dumped to waste to avoid contaminating the boiler if the coil breaks. If using hot water use a double wall heat exchanger (Alstrom makes these). There is also usually installed a heater on the discharge side of the oil transfer pumps to bring the oil to the atomizing temperature, The old horizontal rotarys liked 170-180 deg. Air atomizing usually 200-250 Again it depends on the oil

You also have to watch that the discharge line oil heaters don't overheat the storage tank as a large amount of oil bypasses the burners. It was standard procedure to pump twice the maximum firing rate. Pipe sizes are important as the viscosity changes rapidly with oil temp.

The system should be designed by someone familier with #6 (if you can find someone)--not a job for first timers.

Good Luck,
    ED
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    Ahhh Bunker Fuel

Now that's a blast from the past. I worked with that snot for nye on 5 years. I think it took 2 years after I quit touching it to get my hands clean!! Ahh the memories!
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Rotary gear positive displacement type pump

#6 fuel oil is very difficult to pump with a centrifugal type pump, because of the viscosity at ambient temperature. You can try heating it up to minimum 150 degrees to reach 1000 ssu maximum viscosity for handling viscous medias with centrifugal pumps. To avoid having to heat it, you can use a positive displacement gear type pump flanged, with an adapter bracket bolted to 3:1 gear reducer, and a c-face motor 1760 rpm. The pump will operate at approx 600 rpm slow enough to allow the viscous #6 fuel oil to enter the suction port of the pump. Materials of construction are cast-iron, sleeve bearings, and a Teflon encapsulated seal.

Taco, Inc.
    Joe Mattiello
    Technical Service Technician
    joemat@taco-hvac.com
    401-942-8000 X 484
    www.taco-hvac.com
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    *~/:) right on :)

• oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

Krassl pumps Viking pumps & Tuthill pumps are common place for #4 and #6 positive displacement pumps with either packing or viton seal -strainers are esential and will be placed before pumps and 1 before point of use -they get cleaned 2 times a week and after every delivery--//typical install --indoor tank w/steam coil to keep the oil viscous-pump at around 100* to 120* pump to a "sidearm heater" heat exchanger--using boiler water to heat oil to 140* - 150* then to a Warren preheater just before the point of use raising oil temp to 180* to 220* depending on the oil --never the same -(every oil drop is different)if oil is too hot it will leak at some fittings,"flash" before atomizing if too cold (but hot enough to run) it will look like shooting BBs instead of a flame if too cold the burner will not run ---if real cold it will clog the piping and need to be heated to move -----------------why do you ask -----------a lot of attention must be paid to piping detail placement of equipment -----
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

Kraissle- The best dam oil pumps ever made IMHO!
This discussion has been closed.