Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Average cost of oil heating and air-conditioning per square foot

Mike Neish
Mike Neish Member Posts: 3
Average cost of oil heat and a/c per square foot?

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Might as well ask the

average car cost in American.

There are so many variables like insulation, location, sun-loading, humidity, labor base, type of equipment, distance from supplies, fuel choices, etc., it is impossible to use that sort of basis to get any meaningful information.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Which cost

Are you talking about operating costs or installation costs?

In the last 6 months we've done installs that ran as little as $3.85 a square ft (el junko LP gas furnace with cheap A/C in a 1600 sq ft ranch) to one we are just finishing that will hit around $11.00+. (6300 sq ft with Unico, Viessmann, Climate Panel, Radiant slab, Vasco and Radson panel rads, LifeBreath HRV........ you get the picture?

There is no average number for HVAC for us because our installs vary so much job to job.
  • rb_8
    rb_8 Member Posts: 27
    Here is our answer ...

This reply from our site on the topic of costs...

"I know the discussion revolves around floor heating but I think if one considers all the requirements of health, wellness and comfort that needs to be addressed by an HVAC system, the budget for a contractor installed system should be based on 10% to 15% of the construction cost, with the value floating - based on your climate, economic realties and local codes. For example here in Canada where constant ventilation is a code requirement for most of the country we have no choice but to invest in exhaust and make up air equipment or HRV's (ERV's). If the client requires A/C for health reasons or comfort then it too influences the value. If you’re heating with hydronics but want ‘constant’ humidity (24/7/365) to protect your collectables…paintings, artifacts, wood floors and furnishings then you’ll need dehumidification or humidification (steam types are best). If you're living in Seattle, Long Island or Washington, DC then the value goes up...if you're living in Iowa, the Dakota's or other less populated regions then the value goes down. We always educate our clients to understand heating or cooling a building is easy and a low cost venture (most of the country is this way which is why the majority of homeowners are less than satisfied with their comfort levels and complain about damage to such things as furnishings.) - but to condition the body within a space based on health, wellness and comfort separates the amateurs from the pro’s and it shows up in the budget.

You pay for discomfort or you pay for comfort…either way you get what you pay for."

Anyways - one of our favorite budget excercise with clients is to make an inventory list of the thermal environmental conditions they want to avoid, (cold feet, draft, dry air, noise, etc. ) then ask them how much they are willing to invest to obtain the discomfort...yes that's right - how much is one willing to pay to have the discomfort...you see the house budget gets divided based on value perceptions...every dollar that goes missing (upgrades to roof tiles, home theatre etc...)that otherwise would go to create a next to perfect environment is an investment in discomfort.

Twisted isn't it! But our job is to make them love their HVAC system so much they'll find those missing dollars and put them where they belong.

RB

• joel_25
    joel_25 Member Posts: 4
    hmm

at 11$ a sqrft I hope your not putting much climate panel in thier cause that's pretty cheap!
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I'd agree...

$11 PSF for radiant and A/C??? With Viessmann and Unico? That would be an unusually low number, in my opinion. Even in Kansas.

How?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Hey, we're out in the sticks

And even the doctors are cheap ;)

It really didn't come out that expensive per sq ft for the radiant side because the basement and garage (included in the 6,300) are slab type application and between the 2 areas make up just shy of 4,000 sq ft of the total area. Of the remainder, 1,270 ft were Climate panel. The rest of the rooms are panel rads with 6 of those being the Vasco designer type stuff.

It was a really nice job, the customers were a joy to work with. Wish I could say the same about the arrogant #(*%)@# GC.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Great answers

Great answers from you all really liked RB post there lot to asborb in those there words and your all bulls eye on what HO percieve about there hvac systems and comfort i've seen so much bad it only commandes me to the best or just walk away .It's hard to sell comfort when the whole concept is based on money and that goes both way again great asnwers peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • cfbheating
    cfbheating Member Posts: 1
    Heat and air conditioning in Toronto

Here in Canada, CFB Heating & Air Conditioning is serving all Greater Toronto Area residents with all their heating and air conditioning needs. You can visit their site.

commercial heating

furnaces
  • Amyscremer
    Amyscremer Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Heat and air conditioning in Toronto

In, general price of Hvac cost per sq. ft can be vary from place to place and dealer to dealer.  Cost can also be determined based on your utility level.

If you would like to hire the best price Hvac, than it is better to get reputed company to avoid service and billing difficulties 
This discussion has been closed.