Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heat THermostats

Bob Herman
Bob Herman Member Posts: 2
Can someone suggest a thermostat (and where to get it) for residential steam heat systems? Since the cycle time paradigm will be different than for forced air systems, it seems they are not generally interchangeable. I have seen very little documentation about this issue (might help if I were an HVAC professional).

Comments

• Fred Harwood
    Fred Harwood Member Posts: 261
    Thermostats

I've had good success with the Honeywell T87F, the simple Round, with the anticipator slider set to give approximately three operations per hour on a average winter day. (Adjusted after the basic setting with an ammeter.)

It should be carefully mounted and leveled on an interior wall, about chest height, where it can "see" the heating but not be directly heated (keep it away from sun, radiators, lamps, your easy chair).
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Any of our

new Vision Pro(Programmable) and FocusPro(Non-programmable) models can be used on steam. Just set them to 1 cycle per hour for steam. Mercury free, +- 1 degree accuracy, large bright screen, Energy Star rated. Available from any Honeywell distributor, or you heating/cooling pro, or use the "Find a Contractor" feature above.
This discussion has been closed.