Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sprinter Van

Boiler Guy
Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585

Comments

• Jack_21
    Jack_21 Member Posts: 99
    Sprinter Van

Are any of you running the Sprinter van with the 5cyl diesel? I'm considering it for a display van for work. How does it drive/ Do you get 25mpg on the hwy?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Sprinter

Just went out and drove one yesterday, put my name on it. My tech is going out today and check it out and see if the layout is better for him. Looking at the 140" wheelbase standard top height. Don't think the extra 9" for high top is worth it and also a major route we drive has a bridge that it might not clear. Cost is about 5000 more than a gas fibreglass bodied van, small cube. I calculated the savings in fuel and the difference should pay off in about 5 years.
  • Mijola
    Mijola Member Posts: 124

They are a little on the ugly side driving down the rode.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Funny...

A lot of us are interested in the history of this vehicle (and a few of its "morph's") and yet everyone seems to be test driving one, about to buy one and/or knows someone who did and loves/hates it - but no one seems to have actually bought or owned one and can tell us about the good and bad aspects of them.

I heard one anectodal comment that they are dogs uphill and also that tight driveways and low branches in wooded areas and rural settings are "difficult." But again, only anectodally.

Anybody out there had one for two years - or more?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    regarding history

One guy who drives in town here for commercial chemical co for restaraunts has had his for 18 months and really likes it and the mileage has held up to specs for him. Just one story.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Sprinter

I like mine. Gets about 24 MPG. Is lousy uphill. Is terrible in snow. It gets stuck in a flat driveway with an inch of snow. I'm going to try snow tires next year. I carried an old cast iron boiler all winter and it still was the worst van I own in the snow.
  • Boiler Guy
    I have a new Ford 350

that Is terrible in snow. It gets stuck in a flat driveway with an inch of snow. It is uncomfortable to drive, does not handle well in any weather and gets 14 MPG on the CDN galllon. It has to be the worst van I have driven in the snow. That is coming from a long time Ford fan.

We test drove the Sprinter and decided the extra cost was not justified in our operation. No service Companies in our area are using them as yet. Two people who are using them as dlivery vehicles have found them very cold in our climate. Also block heaters are optional!!
  • Reinvent
    Reinvent Member Posts: 43

'calculated the savings in fuel..should pay off in abought 5 years'
    Thats assuming gas prices dont go up, and I heard they are expected to jump to $3 a gallon this summer.
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710
    Sprinter!!!!

I've had my Sprinter for about 3 months now! I will say after driving one of these vans you will never want to drive an American still van again! I get around 17 miles to the gallon between around town and highway combined. That is twice the amount of fuel as my last truck.

Another one of our vans is a Ford Econoline 250 (for comparative reasons) and I have a 1/2" smaller dimension between my rear shelves. Although I have an extra shelf more going up!!!!!!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    We use nothing but E-350's

and always get them with "limited slip" rears.

It's like a $150 option.

Our part of NJ had over 48" of snow and we never got stuck once!

• Boiler Guy
    That is the difference

between ordering what you want and picking off the lot. I still think the new models don't hold a candle to the 76 thru 90 models. Had 27 of them over the years with excellent servicability
  • Ken_8
    And...

we buy our vans at a "fleet rate" which is below retail cost! ****, having 5 trucks IS a fleet! Why not get the fleet rate?

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Tires

The factory Goodyear tires on the Fords are junk. If you head over to the tirerack (tirerack.com) and look at the customer surveys, they are near the bottom in satisfaction and about at the top in price. My van already had a belt of out alignment (?) in only 15,000 miles and Goodyear will only replace it if it can't be balanced. I certianly am not going to buy a new Goodyear to replace the opposite tire. Kuhmo tires here I come, far better ranked tire at about half the price. I want to buy American, but geez, why doesn't Goodyear start making a decent truck tire, they certainly should be able to at that price. Just went through the same thing with factory Goodyear Eagle LS tires, and bought another brand because the tires were sloppy, did poorly in snow and only mediocre in rain. Another company just riding on thier name, like we saw in the 70's. I don't think they're going to be around much longer. I understand there are 100's of millions of dollars in lawsuit pending against them not only for the Heatway debacle,but other problems.
    Another whole bunch of American maybe out of jobs becasue of corporate mismanagement. JMHO

Boilerpro
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69
    Sprinter Van

I have a 2003, hi roof, 2500 140 WB. I get 20 MPG and drive it 70 to 80 MPH. It is large enough to work out of, and work inside at the workbench. It is quiet, handles better than my 99 E250, 94 Step van chevy chassis, 97 Ranger. More user friendy than the above. I like the van so well that my new 2005 SHC 2500 153 WB will be here June or July. I ordered the van w/ 150 Amp Alternator, auxillary desiel fire front heater, heat exchanger rear heat, bulkhead, rear windonws w/defroster strips, Electric windows and door locks, Cruise, Aux battery, parabolic mirrors, extral keys, upgrade seats, am-fm-cd sound (lousy radio/speakers), back-up alarm, and yellow paint.. Standard is the 5 cyl turbo dsl, A/C. Price for the van, with 3 extra wheels is 33699.00 That is more than a Ford or Chevy, but I feel it is a better value. After taking delivery, I'll insulate, put lights in the back, shelving and of course the company name on both sides and the back door. Good acceleration off the line, poor acceleration above 40 MPH, quiet dsl engine, good ergonomics. Obviously, I like the van despite the various faults. I find it to be an asset in my business of fire protection work. The van hauls sprinkler pipe, extinguishers, fire suppression system parts and emergency batteries very nicely. The high roof design allows me to stand up, not crawl around on my hands and knees like the E250.

Douglas Hicks
    General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Goodyear

I refuse to buy any Goodyear products for the simple reason that they give an industry for which I hold a great deal of respect, a very big black eye. They didn't know how to make good tube and they don't know how to make good tires either. I bought a new f-150 in 2003 and it had Goodyears on it in the dealers lot. I told them they had a deal if they would get rid of the Goodyears and they were happy to oblige.

There are some things I will hold a grudge about for a long time.
  • S Ebels
    Bought one Feb 8th

Actual verified mileage is 20.3 over the first 4,857 miles as of yesterday. Ours is high roof, 6'1" inside, has AC, cruise, power windows and locks, aux heater, engine monitor, upgraded seats (very comfortable) limited slip axle and anti skid control. I don't know if I like the anti skid, sometimes it's a handicap if you are trying to get some speed up going into a slippery drive. I love this thing more everytime I hit the filling station. Gas here was $2.28 and diesel hit $2.47 this past week.

As far as I know, the 5 cylinder diesel is the only engine offered. We don't have any copmplaints about power, it doesn't set any land speed records but it's adequate for the task at hand.
  • Paul Cooke
    Paul Cooke Member Posts: 181
    Rack on your Sprinter

Jamie

How do you reach the ladder and your pipe on the rack?

Looks pretty high.
  • Jamie_6
    Jamie_6 Member Posts: 710

Yeah, that is a negative! To get the ladder off I have to use my 4' ladder I keep in the back! Although, I can reach the pipes if I stand in the back of the truck.

• Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    sprinter

We have two, both get better than 20mpg. The one operator thinks power is lacking[but he would not be happy with 300hp. The other complains about roof hieght{that guy is 6'6"}. The high roof model is the only one we purchase. The sprinter is likely replacement for our other standard vans.

Does any body have a good Hicube you like. We have some guys that are tall [up to 6'10"]. We have found that short trucks can lead to back problems. We are also looking at the knapheide KUV153HDK or KUV181HDK. The ceiling height is limited to 6'1.75".

Mike
  • S Ebels
    HOLY WAH!!!

I just got the insurance statement for the Sprinter. The lecherous parasites want $230.00 PER MONTH to insure it. That's nearly double any other vehicle on the poilcy.

Anyone else run into outrageous insurance rates on a Sprinter?
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Stand up

Any van that you can stand up inside and don't have to jump off is big in my book. The extra room is good to store stuff that sells. But like a tool box the bigger you have the more of the rarely used stuff you will carry.....
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    I got this before xmass

I love it and wish I had one years ago. It holds whatever I put in it and the tool boxes on the side are great. The roof is clear so the sunlight comes in and the partition keeps me warm. Been to busy to get it lettered but will be done soon. I got this truck for 21,000 plus change. Great in the snow too it came with a locking rear differetal. It gets about 15 on the highway and 12 around town. I wanted a Ford with a diesel but no one had any on the lots and Chevy was basically giving this away with all the rebates and such. Even has AC and power windows.
  • Boiler Guy
    CDN Sprinter

Hot deal Sprinter 2500 $44,799 no air,cruise, tilt or block heater E- 350 c/w air, cruise, tilt $33,450
  • Boiler Guy
    Al I like that

> I love it and wish I had one years ago. It holds

> whatever I put in it and the tool boxes on the

> side are great. The roof is clear so the sunlight

> comes in and the partition keeps me warm. Been to

> busy to get it lettered but will be done soon. I

> got this truck for 21,000 plus change. Great in

> the snow too it came with a locking rear

> differetal. It gets about 15 on the highway and

> 12 around town. I wanted a Ford with a diesel but

> no one had any on the lots and Chevy was

> basically giving this away with all the rebates

> and such. Even has AC and power windows.

• Boiler Guy
    Al I like that

Does it have dual wheels too?
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    ladder rack access

While at asshrae in Orlando in Jan I checked out a neat ladder "drop" mechanism. It is available from Knaack.
This discussion has been closed.