Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pool Heater using Hydronic boiler

Dan_15
Dan_15 Member Posts: 388
We have an unheated in-ground pool. We just updated our home boiler system to a high output Buderus G215. Im thinking about options for heating the pool. Im wondering which option would be cheaper or easier to install and run: (1) a separate heater just for the pool, or (2) connect the pool to my Buderus. Any thoughts?

Comments

• dconnors
    dconnors Member Posts: 215
    I would connect to the boiler

Use a flate plate heat exchanger that is built for chlorinated water. Should be cheaper than installing a whole new heater.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    HT Products

as a stainless steel HX tank for use as a pool heater.
    Biggest issue is probably getting the piping from the pool pump to the boiler.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    I'd also consider...

... a solar pool heater.

These are typically not that expensive and the heat is free. Plus, they work best when you need them, i.e. all summer. If you build a simple drainback system the collector can even stagnate once the water in the pool becomes too hot.
  • Michal
    Michal Member Posts: 213
    plate and frame

for you a plate and frame heat exchanger will work nicely, just make sure you use a 3 way valve to bypass some of the hot water into the return line for extra insurance as not to shock the boiler. I know buderus can run low, but its a extra precaution.
  • dconnors
    not necessary on the Buderus

he has a G215 which requires no set flow or temp.
  • pool heating

maxi-flo Stainless Steel Pool & SPa heat Exchanger, manufactured by Traingle Tube.

http://www.triangletube.com/HeatExchangers/MaxiFlo/HEMaxiFloOverview.htm

sizing chart and installation instructions.

now available in Titanium!

We have used many of these with great success!

Steve
  • ever think of....

Constantin,

Ever think of putting PEX tube in the pool deck to cool the pool for comfortable feet AND heat the pool?

We have even used the snow melt in driveways to heat the pool and cool the driveway :-)

Steve
  • dconnors
    could use pex tube under the pool......

although it might be difficult getting it under there.
    :-)
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    pools can consume a lot of BTU

got enough boiler output to drive that type of load?

I'd also suggest a shell and tube type HX. Triangle or Weil McLain are my favorites, they can handle the pools side flow easily and have large connections.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Hank_CT
    Hank_CT Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    sorry...mis-post

This discussion has been closed.