Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

infiltration rate difference

Options
pat_3
pat_3 Member Posts: 89
does anyone know the infiltration rate difference between two identical rooms,one heated with baseboard,one heated with radiant in gypcrete?is there a standard air change per hour used when doing a heatloss for a baseboard system that is different for radiant systems?thanks in advance for any replies
Pat

Comments

• pat_3
    pat_3 Member Posts: 89
    Options

little help please .
    Pat
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    Little help

There are a whole lot of factors that go into the infiltration number besides the heat emitter. Typically, construction and insulation have 10x the influence that you would find between the two you mentioned, both of which are better than F/A due to very low velocity air currents introduced into the room. Of the two (BB vs radiant) I have always deduckticated 5% for radiant floor heat loss and never be burned.

Def: deduckticated-verb.... the mental process of taking a W.A.G. based on an experience driven gut feeling. ;)
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 477
    Options
    Infiltration rate

The infiltration is a function of how tight your building envelope is. The only time it "may" be affected is by an air system that may be balanced to pressurize the house or room, or to create a negative air pressure in the house/room. Baseboard vs radiant floor has zero influence on an infiltration figure.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    NEW WORD...

25 bonus points.. COngrats Steve:-)

Is WAG and SWAG in Holohans list of acronyms? A quick check found that they are NOT listed there. Let me be the first to coach the unknowing. W.A.G. = Wild A$$ Guess, S.W.A.G. = Scientific Wild A$$ Guess, as in engineered system...

ME
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    What about...

when the wind blows? I think you're talking about mechanically induced EX filtration, not infiltration :-)

When the wind blows, its IN filtration, and it still sucks.

I've gotten to the point that I ask SOMEONE (GC, Architect, homeowner, builder) what the infiltratin factor will be. I'm not building the thing, I'm only TRYING to heat it.

I need to cover my butt aginst other trades that I have ZERO influence over, but MY performance is dependent upon theirs.

WHen I find myself at the end of the chain of responsibility, I like to bring culpability into the mix.

ME
  • S Ebels
    S Ebels Member Posts: 2,322
    Options
    I always thought SWAG was

Silly Wild A-- Guess. Scientific smells better to me though..............it's a taller word than silly.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    dont worry aboutit :)

the base board and radiant have no clue what is being foysted upon them :) i would be more concerned of apathetic infiltration in a room than atmospheric :) leaving bedroom windows open can drastically change the complexity of accurately calculating the infiltration percentage.....other than knowing what type of insulation vapor barrier wall coverings ,sillseal, swind barrier sheathing and siding and insulation and the level of expertise applied to these products along with the type and materials of the windows and ajoining rooms and the measures taken to seal for stack effect one can find very little signifigance in the passive emmitters influence on infiltration.........thats my story and im stickin toit:)
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    I like the clear duck tape version of the word....

i clear dedukticated the healing potential of the sharp stick in the eye from the doctors adroit fingers :)and it cost me nearly 400 dollars for THAT! :) man it feels good to get that off my chest :))
This discussion has been closed.