Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin piping

Dof3
Dof3 Member Posts: 120
I am putting a 50M wall mount in a pole building. It has 1 zone in the whole thing. Do I need to pipe P/S for this small of a job or can I put it with a pump on the supply side only? Of course I would have an air seperater, x-tank,PR valve etc.

Comments

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718

I would look at the drawings in the installation manual.

But I would set it up P/s anyway for future expantion or domestic indirect hot water.

PATRIOT HEATING & COOLING, INC.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dof3
    Thanks for your reply

This is just a small shop and no plan [or room] to expand.There is no running water in the building. So they will never use an IWH. I don't have enough room to pipe the P/S without hanging the boiler 8' high. I did look at the manual and have piped alot of these the way suggested. They work very well. But, they were in multiple zone and temp situations. What would happen if it were piped conventionally??
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    If you can find...

a pump that will overcome the head of the distribution tubing AND the head of the boiler, whilst maintaining the required 5 GPM flow, GO FOR IT...

That's a pretty healty pump tho:-)

ME
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    munchkin

Put the pump on the return. for this application we have had great success. P/S is not needed as long as you can maintain flow.
  • Rookie
    Rookie Member Posts: 175
    Reset

If there is a power outage, doesn't the munchkin control reset, and try to fire after the power is back on.Had a client call and told me they had to reset their boiler, he didn't notice an error code ( it was 4:00 in the morning) just said he pushed the reset boiler fired off. I'm assuming there must have been an error, that the boiler would resume operation after an outage.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    I think...

if the boiler sees 3 power failures in one hour, it locs out and makes you aware of the issue.

Bear in mind, I may be thinking of one of the thousand other boilers I work on too,,,

Best call their 800 help number to be sure.

ME
  • Rookie
    Rookie Member Posts: 175
    Munchkin questions

Mark send me an e-mail, your address listed gets kicked back I have some questions regarding the Munchkin boiler.Thanks
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Your heat loss and design

cals should spell out the pressure drop in your distribution piping. Select a pump that will handle the head and needed flow and you should be fine.

I'll bet a Grundfos Super Brute and speed 3 might get you there. A very dependable and inexpensive circulator :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Your heat loss and design

cals should spell out the pressure drop in your distribution piping. Select a pump that will handle the head and needed flow and you should be fine.

I'll bet a Grundfos Super Brute and speed 3 might get you there. A very dependable and inexpensive circulator :)

hot rod

• Dof3
    Thanks for info

I will look at the Wirsbo design I did on the building and see what pump[gpm] it calls for. Thanks hot rod.
This discussion has been closed.