Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How many roads must a man

Rookie
Rookie Member Posts: 175
Boiler service calls, how many service calls would you do for a one boiler line in a year,( I'm not talking about normal maintenance) how many no heat calls before you would drop that line and never return?

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    interesting

I unfortunately wouldn't be able to drop the customer, but alot of it would depend on what the issue is. How much support the company gave in return for the problem's and if it's every boiler in that make or just one. I work for a supplier so we deal with a large amount of different makes, some I groan when I walk through the door and some I have no problem with....Don't you love this line of work!! :)
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    The answer my friend,

Is TRULY blowing in the wind and knowing when to say "It's time".

You can't make chicken soup from chicken poop and if a system is causing more problems than should be expected,maybe it's time for an upgrade. Homeowners may fight you kicking and screaming but you have to TELL them what's in THEIR best interest.(as little as they may want to hear it)Their best choice is the equipment you are comfortable selling and installing by your own experiences.

To beat an old horse a bit harder....Tell them about the car in the driveway that they lost on average 4-6000 bucks driving off the lot, and how a new heating system will not only pay them back but will also increase the worth of their biggest possesion. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's easy but let them know that you are thinking about them in your decision, and give them the opportunity to be a part of the process by giving them CHOICES.

It usually turns out to be a win/win for both. JMHO. Chris
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Rocky.....

i am not naming brands here, however , when i fixed and cleand and installed burners furnaces and boilers and thought about it and considered the"Ease of access" back then on various boilers,and found it possible that there are far more ways to make it impossible to work on a boiler(maintinance)due to thoughtless installs(guys who never intended to come back and tune the burner,remove the stove pipe,take of the skins during maintinace...i sorta got to particularily disliking some boilers.........and would only purchase one if it would best fitt for future service work...(i might have to be the guy to come change this and that or bla blah.)Then when i heard one of the guys ,normally a quiet sort seething at the eye balls,id ask him what the frick up? 'oh ,those new bla blah boilers 35 out of 38 of them that we installed this year all leaked'.........id tuck the info under my hat and knowing that he was damm good installer made sure to steer clear of THOSE for a while.....different objectives not really...some people will spend all kinds of time on a burner thinking that they can make it work properly...when in fact they were lied to right from the gate... in those instances a guy has to look around him and "see" some times there are lots of new parts all over the place on the boiler, covered over control boxes on the wall ten or eleven controls where there should be one...those are Major Hints ,.........if X burner on Y boiler is constantly Trashing the things you get a pretty good idea of the combinations that work well together....getting there is taking many hours of a guys life just to make that observation..now if you are replacing lots of older burners;new burners into older iron and wow wee they run right and stay clean you tend to think yah that helps make those buggers! easier to service..id say the magic number would be best described as 77X7 when you walkin see the X boiler and say '"ok.Thank you God" i have your word. and i am going to keep it close to my heart...........
  • Rocky, This boiler rhyme with: UNCHKIN?

How did I know that?

"Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
    Pretending he just doesn't see?
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
    The answer is blowin' in the wind." Bob Dylan 1962

Sounds like you've had enough. Drop the line & don't return. (JMO)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    You'll know, When Rock

I don't know what brand you are referring to, but that is why I became such a devout Burnham man. Over the years I have had very few problems, and I always got it addressed by the company. Believe me it wasn't easy when my supplier did not carry that line. I still get a lot of resistemnce from them to switch, but I have no reason to. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.