Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slant fin Hydronic Explorer question

Ted_9
Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
yea i basically selected the partially below grade and the heat loss was huge and it calculated like 74 feet of 15. The basement loss is around 40,000btus

I changed it a bit but it still shows a great loss.

the foundation is 32x22 7 ' ceiling.

Comments

• Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Slant fin Hydronic Explorer question

When sizing a heat loss with this program, are we supposed to size use the basement as its own floor?

This is how my hvac-calc program works and the basement losses are usually pretty small.

I used the Slant fin progam and came up with huge losses that required lots of baseboard. Any ideas?
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    own floor....

it gives you lots of choices....exposed wall,partially exposed wall,foundation.. slab;insualation above,below,edge...play with it a bit. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    Ted

I think what your doing is entering the foundation in as 8" block.If you click on the "poured concrete foundation"the window will allow you to select partial above and below grade.This will default to a lower factor.When I did that I came up with a load of 20K.I included 4 windows single pane @ 4sq'/window.Like Kevin said play around with it.It is a good program and you can't beat the price:)

cheese
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    one more thing

I didn't enter an infiltration rate for that.....so do it yourself again:)

cheese
  • Don_31
    Don_31 Member Posts: 5
    Below Grade

You should be entering the average exposed area on a basement if you are not doing so. If you have a 7' basement and only 2' is above grade you should be entering the ceiling height as 2'. If you have a sloping property line you should use the average height that is above grade.
This discussion has been closed.