Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cold steam radiators...what next to look for?

gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
that the radiators have a slight pitch back toward the inlet valve..you may have to shim the opposite sides legs to achieve this...
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• Chris Bain
    Chris Bain Member Posts: 28
    some cold radiators in steam system...what's next?

When I first turned on the system this year, all steam radiators were piping hot. Within a week or two, half were cold, although the base of the pipe below the intake valve (for most of the cold radiators) is still piping hot. I've replaced the vents on those, which didn't help. I've drained the water (dirty) from the system and refilled it (twice) to the halfway point in the glass guage. Not sure what to try next. Does the fact that each radiator only has one pipe going into it make this a one-pipe system or is this determined elsewhere. Obviously, this is my first intro to steam radiation... Any suggestions would be well worth it.
  • Bill Nye_2
    Bill Nye_2 Member Posts: 538
    Go to

Books and more.....and look for this book
    http://www.heatinghelp.com/shopcart/product.cfm?category=2-109

Are the valves open at the radiator inlet?

• Chris Bain
    Chris Bain Member Posts: 28
    Which of Dan's 2 books

I've traveled all over the net today, and have run into links all leading back here. Dan seems to have the two books, the one you mention (We Got Steam Heat) and A Pocketful of Steam Problems. If I had to choose one, as a new homeowner, which is best?
  • Dean_7
    Dean_7 Member Posts: 192
    books

From one homeowner to another get We Got steam Heat and then invest in Dan's "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" and the EDR book (Every Darn Radiator). With these you can educate yourself, scare every contractor who wants to work on your system away EXCEPT the true professionals who know what they are doing, and probably save money in the long run. It worked for me.
This discussion has been closed.