Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

opinions on types of pipe insulation

Options
michael_15
michael_15 Member Posts: 231
I've got a one-pipe steam system on the second floor of a two-story house (first floor is a different system). I've decided (perhaps this should have been obvious) that I'm going to insulate the pipes are they run up the first floor, and I'm wondering what y'all think about different types of pipe insulation.

Should I get the polyethylene foam ones? Fiberglass? Tape? Something else entirely? One (and only one, for some reason) of the pipes is already insulated -- with asbestos. And boy, that seems to work great. (It's in a clothes closet where, yes, it will be disturbed often. I've, well, put some furniture in front of the closet door while I get around to getting a professional to remove it.)

Thanks!,

-Michael

Comments

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    For one-pipe steam systems...

...IMHO, your best bet is probably 1" thick fiberglass that has a plastic exterior skin. They are slipped over in 3' segments, then the seam is taped shut. Usually, such insulation pipes are white on the exterior and only available in better wholesalers.

You may be able to convince the asbestos abatement company to buy you the replacement insulation. They may even be willing ot install it for you.

If you want to insulate via the DIY route, measure out the pipe lengths, add 10% for wastage. Also, count the number of bends, because those require special bootie covers. Good luck!
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I like this product

www.techlite.com It is a melamine insulation and available with a PVC jacket in many colors. It would be a good durable product to use in a closet like that.

They don't mind shipping small orders.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Vermonster_3
    Vermonster_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    dot net..

http://www.techlite.net

The dot com is a commercial lighting company

VT
  • michael_15
    michael_15 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    finding the preformed fiberglass insulation

Well, this preformed fiberglass insulation stuff is certainly hard to find. Any ideas on where I might be able to mail/online-order it?
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Insulation

I've been pleased with the look and ease of install with Microlock. In the picture is 1" (they also have 1/2" and 1 1/2" thicknesses). The PVC covering keeps things clean and cleanable. Enjoy.....Dan

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pipe Insulation

How does the price compare against Johns Manville Microlok?
This discussion has been closed.