Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hobo

joel_19
joel_19 Member Posts: 931
Has anyone used these dataloggers? They look very interesting and at modest cost. Could help resolve alot of arguments once and for all www.onsetcomp.com i spoke with one guy who has them and thinks they are great.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=254&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Supco

They are great for what they are, I use the Supco sl200 brand and for 100 bucks or so have a great software display of any temp from -40 to 185F. Bought them at Johnstone supply. We strap them on town border station gas heater discharge pipes to see when the burner runs and for how long. All refrigeration people use them to watch case run time and auto deforst cycling. Software graphs and data log sheets are great. Ever wonder how hot your car gets inside in the summer or how hot the apt you get complaints about really is. The hobo logo came from using them in cross country refrigerator rail cars to prove the space temp kept the product cool enough.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    ME likes HOBOs

and has shown us a bunch of data here collected with a HOBO.

The only downfall I see is the low max. temperature 158°.

I'm looking at the Logtag brand at www.microdaq.com About the same price but a wider temperature range. The ten pack looks like a good deal.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White_2
    Brad White_2 Member Posts: 188
    Onset HOBO's

are great little devices. Used them for years. They have a variety of temperatures using themistors of all types so you can measure stack temperatures or freezers. You ought to send for their catalog and e-mail list.

To start it may seem a little expensive (software is the biggest piece and that is only less than $100 for the Boxcar Pro version. The loggers themselves average between $65 and $95. Some external sensors are extra. For $200 initial layout you can go far. If really basic their basic software is a lot less but I have never used it so cannot say what features it has or is missing from the Pro version.

From my initial outlay, I buy a logger or two each year to round out my sensor family, all kinds. Now I need a 12-step program to wean myself :^)>
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
  • Jeff Matson_2
    Jeff Matson_2 Member Posts: 12
    HOBOs

Onset's logger family is very good stuff, and competitively priced. We use this equipment occasionally at Viega NA both for in-house R&D work and for field monitoring of test systems. I like the compact size of the loggers, and the versatility of the data downloading (I like taking a Palm device out to the job site and pulling the data and starting the logger right back up). Onset has been very helpful with questions in the past, too.

Jeff Matson, Product Engineer, Viega NA
  • the best

Hobo's-B-Cool!!!!!

I love them. Temp, temp/humidity, etc etc. You can set the frequency of sampling and even what day they are to turn on (so the customer can not screw with them).

VERY VERY VERY COOL!!!

wheels
  • Matt_22
    Matt_22 Member Posts: 1
    Supco

Nice application. We've had several guys that are setting the loggers to start at a specific time and actually putting them in the mail instead of driving out to a customer with a mystery complaint.(the ones that only happen when the tech isn't there)If anybody needs anything or has any questions you can reach me at mthee@supco.com.
    Thanks.
  • Tom_35
    Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
    Used them for years

We have used the HOBO'S for several years and they are an incredible tool. We originally bought them for temperature and humidity sensing only, and they performed better than what we had ever thought about. It's really nice when you can show the customer exactly what the temperature and humidity is at different locations at the chosen time intervals, when they have been telling you that the heating or cooling system just doesn't work.

It will also let you know if something is happening at particular times when you can't catch it.

We have started to use "event" loggers also that will show when a boiler, furnace, or a/c comes on, how long it runs, and how long it is cycld off. We can then measure the amount of energy that has been used.

Onset has a variety of loggers. One of the previous posts said to get their catalogue, and you should. They are a great product.

Tom Atchley
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    OOH!

Gotta love this site....

I was just thinking of where to start looking for a data logger after looking at Grainger's and just happened to stop by here. Looks like I am buying some new toys, er tools!!

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable PHC Inc
  • I know.....

a great place where you can buy them :-)

wheels
This discussion has been closed.