Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Raising kids to the business

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
brought a son or a daughter into the business? How'd that go? What did you teach the kid? And what have you learned from the kid?

How's it going?
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    We're working on it !!

Some little wetheads coming up !!

Murph'

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    :)

My son Sean (mini me) worked with me for 1 consecutive year.That was fresh out of high school.He/we have our good and bad points.Generally speaking when he was in the zone we were wonderful.BUT he was young and I am stuborn.Sometimes it became to personal and we would lock horns.He is very personable,easy to talk with and polite........to the clients:)

After a year we parted.I was very lonely:(He worked in a warehouse for almost two years.He was liked and given responsability.But he was spinning wheels.I was in a well pump wholesaler one day and the manager asked how Sean was doing.I told him he was frustrated.So Gary told him to come for an interview.That was two years ago already.He's been working in the wholesale biz now.He knows all the local contractors,drillers,excavators etc.He has had factory training and is learning more than I think he realizes.He is a people person and feels sales will be his gig.I try to help him think out of the box and strive for the stars.It's up to him but I think he'll do fine.He loves his life and his mom and dad(and his sister)He's a keeper.

Oh yeah.@ times we both look at eachother and miss us!Then we think,smile and shake our heads:)

cheese
  • Mike Kraft_2
    Mike Kraft_2 Member Posts: 398
    An added footnote:).........

Kathy mentioned I didn't mention my daughter.Summer!!!How can I forget her.But I did.She is 19 now.She has accompanied me on numerous occasions to jobs.She has lugged,fastened,cleaned fittings,drilled,straightened my truck,answered the phone and gone into the dreaded crawlspace.She is quieter than Sean.A smart beautiful young woman.These memories of my family are special.Something that self employment has as a fringe benefit.Man,I love my kids!!

cheese
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    2 down, none to go

They both had a shot at it. My daughter Sarah really seemed to enjoy laying down tube and pulling zip ties, nice neat finish and no tails sticking up. She move off to teach English in Japan after university, married a fellow from north-east China and is currently about 6 months pregnant. She has no further interest in the trades.
    My son Guy has tried three or four times to be interested in hydronics. He has developed a reasonable understanding of the physics and does field some service when I'm away but his head and heart just aren't in it. He'd rather drive equipment - bulldozer, backhoe, whatever, so that is what he does.
    The days and weeks I have managed to spend working with my kids are so special. Neither of them is likely to follow up on what I have chosen to work at - but both of them know how to work and I know each of them a little better for the opportunity.
    I expect the only thing as special as kids is grandkids.
    Enjoy.....Dan

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Nice to see

Mr. Buttons and the siblings!
    Retired and loving it.
  • John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    Kids

My 7 year old son has been on many jobs with me.He's a real boy,into everything.

Soldered his first joint a few months ago.It's great having him on the job and watching him learn new things.I'll be delighited if he decides to persue this trade,but I don't want to push him on it.Right now he says this is what he wants to do,but he's young and wants to do what daddy does.

I just hope our relationship is as good when he reaches his teen years.
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

on many occasions i have had my kids helping on jobs 2 boys 3 and 6 and my daughter who is 9 --my 6 year-old has been into tools since he was 2
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    pictures

Those pictures and stories of your kids are worth a million dollars. they make me smile, Thanx.

Gary from Granville
  • Murph'_5
    An added footnote:)......... (like cheese!!)

Our oldest boy Ryan does go on jobs with me as needed. He works full time at local food mart to support his hobby as a music fanatic! lives on his own and supports himself, had some of his peers help me on occasion but they cannot hold a candle to this young man when he is on his mark. He is not afraid to get dirty, nor try to do it himself!! He had the opportunity for the university after school but his interest lies in music, who am I to argue? He will hook-up with (Scott a freind of mine since grade school) the production manager for "the Indigo Girls" later this week to find out more about the ins and outs of the music biz!! After speaking with Scott, who knows maybe he'll make it big and support me and my hobby as a contractor!!

Murph'

• Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    two

Oldest son John worked with me one summer and with our gang on several jobs when he was fresh out of Slippery Rock. He was not cut out for the trades, but he's become one hell of a great vodeographer, which was his major in college. He's often dreamed of forming an independent film company & last year he & I took the plunge to become partners in JoDa Film Productions. So, I'd have to say he's brought me into his world(G). Observing him work his magic with lighting, filming and editing is very gratifying as a parent. The day we traveled to NYC to purchase our equipment from B&H Labs, we spent the remainder of the day at the WTC site, shed a few tears and ate a late lunch in a delightful Irish pub. We've made some great memories in our efforts to get JoDa off & running.

Our youngest, Mike, has the gift of a mechanical mind and is a natural. When he was a mere lad & I was setting tile on a bathroom remodel, he'd lay on my back and set the tiles in the thinset mortar. He could solder by age 8. When I was installing my Burnham Revolution boiler, he waltzed into the mechanical room - took one look at what I was doing (wiring) - and pronounced "that's not how you do that". Thinking I'd trip him up, I handed him the tools and said "OK wise guy - have at it!" He took over and wired up the low voltage like a pro! He's worked with us for several summers & holds his own with the men in our shop. Last summer, I put him with one of our tougher task masters who doesn't suffer lazy people well & Mike passed that test with flying colors. This summer, he's bussing tables at the country club and learning lessons about human nature that will serve him well in life. He's also working hard with his rock band Neutopia & gearing up for Mendonstock, which is a gathering of local bands for a music festival & held here in our back yard - earplugs free to neighbors! His Eagle Scout project was to plumb the newly constructed York Little League offices and snack shack. The skills he's learned with us were put into play & he managed to pass along some of them to the other Scouts who assisted him on that project. We want him to go off to college & then decide if he wants in on the business. You can't do what we do in the trades if you don't love what you're doing.

• EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Kids

The hands in the pockets and look from the girl on the left is great! I laughed out loud, good stuff. EJW
  • Murph'_5
    Rachel watches Bernie.......

She does not miss a thing her older brother does, ever!!Briana is our own humor factory, has a different way of looking at things compared to the others!! We call her "nooner" as she can be wide-eyed at 2am. singing and playing by herself. This may be the very reason we stopped at 5 kidz (G)

Murph'

This discussion has been closed.