Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nipple grease

Phil_8
Phil_8 Member Posts: 42
I am a newby in putting together cast iron radiator sections and Base-Ray CI sections. Is there a special type of nipple grease that should be used. If so what's the brand name. Also should the sections be put together before the rads are painted or is it O.K to paint them first? The new ones, from the factory, are primed with what appears to be an oil based primer. Is oil base finish coat necessary or is latex paint acceptable?

Thanks much!

Comments

• Wild Bill
    Wild Bill Member Posts: 112
    CI B/B nipple compound

I have seen everything from Rectorseal T plus 2 to Tru-Blu being used as nipple "joy juice". I would paint rads after installation to avoid chipping paint upon assembly. Good Luck
    Phil_8
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Great advice ,

From Wild Bill. I use Rectorseal 5 and haven't had a leaker yet.

As to painting, the tool used to pull these puppies together isn't the nicest thing on either the inside or outside of the sections.They gotta lay flat to pull them together. I wholly agree that painting should be the last thing done.( pressure testing and putting water/steam to them should be done FIRST!) I've seen them painted with both oil and latex, with no noticale difference. The customer will tell the painter if something starts to bubble, why worry about it? Nice product too. Chris
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

You don't want latex on bare cast iron. The rust will come through the paint amazingly fast.
  • tim smith_2
    tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
    Nipple lube

I use the nipple lube burnham supplies with their V 9 boilers. Great stuff they now have.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

THE OLD RELIABLE---PERMATEX
  • Sounds so sexy!!!

Greasing ones nipples should onely be done by experienced adults under the supervision of licensed plumbing & heating contractors;-) Clean up the morning after can sometimes be messy;-)

I have had great results with Permatex blue™RTV as CI BB nipple lube.

Paint them first. Spray enamel paint onto their factory prime coat. Latex will not stick as well. Use enamel.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Phil_8
    Phil_8 Member Posts: 42
    Painting CI baseboards

Thanks for the info on the grease!
    The home owner was concerned about the portion of the CI Base-Ray that is not accessible after installation. Especially the ones in the bathrooms. He was concerned that the primer coat may not be enough of a rust inhibitor.
This discussion has been closed.