Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pro Press

David Sutton_5
David Sutton_5 Member Posts: 87
Just wondering how you like it and how the savings are, if you could e-mail me i would be greatful, if you don't mind if you could tell me what you paid for it, that would be great as well, i think i may get one.. Thank you for your help ...David Sutton

d.sutton@beaconmechanical.com

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    David,

Punch Propress into the search and I think you'll be overwhelmed. I like it. Chris
  • David Sutton_5
    thank you chris

• John Felciano
    John Felciano Member Posts: 411
    propress

Bought mine last winter and totally love the tool as do my guys.It's a huge time saver.The fittings are more expensive but so isnt't the cost of labor.The only complaint I have is the availability of fittings.Most supply houses are not stocking them.I heard that it has something to de with the deals Ridgid made with certin supply houses.

The only fitting not available has been valves,but that seems to be changing I just saw an ad in contractor mag from Cimberio valve for a ball valve with propress connections,so I'm sure the others will be making them soon.
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Former Viega/Ridgid Rep

This is a cumbersome system, contractor's rarely order all the fittings they need because of the price, availability, etc. So they end up soldering anyways. Impossible in tight spots. This is copper's last ditch effort to compete with PEX. Why would anyone would use copper instead of Pex? We sell Pex 20 to 1 vs. Pro Press. Goodbye Copper and Good Riddance. Contractors bidding pex against copper win every time. Time to save on Labor & Materials... No I am not Ted.
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    It seems

I think most of the black iron, copper use by people on this site doing heating is the near boiler piping where pex would be droopy and messy and components need solid support. And, some juristictions still require and some customers still prefer certain materials.
  • Dave Palmer_3
    Dave Palmer_3 Member Posts: 388
    pressing

buy it buy it buy it,I'm a 3 man crew and it cuts your time in half if not more. Wish I could use it more.You will ALWAYS need to solder but this tool helps. Do a boiler in half the time,water,drips,flowing no matter it works. I old school,questions
    everything ,I know the old ways,this is the
    best thing in years,email me for job photos if you want.Dave
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Hey Rick

Can Pex do this ????

By the way I use pex-al-pex, but every product has its place.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Touche!

:)
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    I bought

the propress this Winter. Works great. Cuts labor time in half. Looks good too. I bought fitting organizers boxes and keep a certain amount of fittings always in stock and replace them as I use them. There are only several supply houses that carry them at this time and I had to educate several of the countermen on how to fill my orders. Graingers on lne has them and you can order from your computer and take delivery on them. I'd like it if they had one for refrigerant lines, ot better yet, Pex for A/C lines. Way cool dude. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Everything has it's place.

The market is amazingly efficient at trying to allocate resources efficiently. Since WW1, there have been many efforts focused on reducing the need for expensive or scarce materials by substituting them with cheaper materials.

For example, carbon black found its niche in the tire business because traditional compounding agents like Zinc Oxide were in short supply. As the carbon black technology matured, tires started lasting 50,000 miles instead of 5,000.

Wartime efforts continue to affect our lives... for example, the grade classification system for Maple syrup is set up to reward the syrups that taste the most like pure sugar. Grade A (even Dark Amber) holds no candle to the Grade B or C varieties (when you can find them). However, the consumer always wants the best, right? Grade A is the best, right? (sigh)

Anyway, coming back to the Propress, I happen to like this system, particularly since I am planning on living in a state that still does not allow PEX for water systems once inside the house (it's OK outside, go figure). And as others have pointed out most eloquently, the Propress system is not only neat, it also allows for some nice free-standing piping artwork. This is not to say that you could not achieve the same piping with PEX, but it would not look the same.

Naturally, you can achieve the same artwork with the more traditional solder approach. It just takes longer!
  • Matt_21
    Matt_21 Member Posts: 140
    Propress

We bought three of them 2 years ago. Huge time saver. We are currently doing a 4" CW system all propress. The fitting are expensive but I think the labor savings offsets the material cost. I am in RI and i haven't found any problem getting fittings. The nice thing about it is if they don't make a fitting you need, just buy a sweat one.
  • David Sutton_5
    Sweet !!! job Scott......

i have gotten quotes on one , think its going to be in my stock very soon.. i was told to get the corded one what do you think?...thanks David
  • J.C.A._3
    Dave,

Most of the fitting you'll be looking for are available. When you get to the big stuff, you'll need the adapter jaws. The job Mr. Milne showed ,(the local Fire Dept., by the way) we had the tools for the larger than 2" jaws on site because the supplier knew what we needed.(2-1/2 and 3") .Hell, we liked it so much, we bought the tool.

The kit we bought will do from 1/2 to 2". Anything larger will take some pondering to purchase the bits needed. If you use the larger sizes all the time, go for it. If you work like we do, you'll only need them once in a while.

I can't say enough good things about this tool. It has been both, a time saver and a savior in some situations. When water is flowing back on you, and time is of the essance, there ain't no better tool to have.

Get "r" done! The sooner you do, the faster it pays for itself. Chris
  • J.C.A._3
    OOPS!

Sorry for the name on the attachment. After looking at it, that was the way I put it in my folder. Chris
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Chris has a potty mouth! Chris has a potty mouth!

Mark H

• Murph'_5
    Murph'_5 Member Posts: 349
    Shame on you !!!!

MY KIDS READ THIS SITE. KEEP IT KLEEN!!!!!

MURPH' (sos)

• J.C.A._3
    Hey Hunt ....

&*%& . I was trying to show the attributes of a fine tool. Dopey me couldn't work the buttons fast enough .

Label me a potty mouth , if you must. But , in my defense, I only speak that way if the customer does FIRST!. You caught me. I ain't the altarboy you thought I was. OOPS!
  • Mark Hunt
    Don't sweat it

We all slip sometimes!!!

It is funny though!!!!!!

Mark H

• jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
    I thought

Chris WAS one of your kids.
  • J.C.A._3
    Gosh Darn it.

Murph, someone done figured it out! Slim.
  • Mark Hunt
    Nice job

but are you gonna fix that leak? Other than that,it's perfect!

al
  • Randy Tibbits
    Randy Tibbits Member Posts: 91

Will the pipe move in the fitting? For example if a riser ended up out of level can it be pushed back?
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Time to put on a thong...

...and distract us from these deep thoughts, Murph. Saw Shrek 2 last night and there is a male/thong connection in it also. They must have harvested that idea from here...

BTW, good movie with enough witty stuff to keep the parents happy. The only sad thing is that unlike the Merry Melodies/Disney stuff, Shrek 2 makes so many references to popular culture that in 30 years most everyone will say "huh?" when they see it and only us old ones will smile wisely or laugh out loud...
This discussion has been closed.