Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stevens College of Technology - rocks!

Options
Dave Yates (PAH)
Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
I met 19 very bright and energetic students today along with their professor, Steven Phyillaier. What a great group! Their lab is chock-ablock full of heat pumps and furnaces, but lacks much in the way of hydronics except for about 6 boilers, which - by the way, are all pumping away! No radiant stuff at all :( Seems Prof Steve has read Dan's book and already had a copy of "pumping away". Now he's got another one and a bunch of others to lend to his students.

After the students left, Steve gave me a tour of the plumbing lab & all of their boilers are pumping away too! Then it was off to the missing fingers lab (sheet metal) and a tour of the other campus facilities.

Every lab was neat and tidy compared to others I've visited. 19 very interested students anxious to make their mark in the trades. I was very impressed.

Plans have begun to move into another much larger building and build a hydronics lab that will be second to none. I'm looking forward to helping. These are two year college accredited courses that include a half day of typical studies (english, math, etc...) with the remaning half being devoted to tech lab/class. From what I saw today, there is a secure future for these students upon graduation.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=98&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Darin Cook
    Darin Cook Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Great to hear!!

I am sure it will be a great experiance working with those students. Youth can have a enthusiasm which is good for the soul. Keep us informed how it goes.
  • GMcD
    GMcD Member Posts: 477
    Options
    The future of hydronics

I see a similar trend out my way. While I do my site reviews at a University building we have under construction where we are using a radiant heating/cooling slab ceiling system, I find clusters of engineering students looking into the construction site at all the activity and they are quite interested in the building systems. I've been lucky enough to chat with some of these groups to explain the radiant temperature control systems, how it works, and why it's being used (comfort and low energy) and they are really interested in the applied engineering, and they can see that the Stefan-Boltzman laws really can have some practical applications. We are actually hiring a University Co-op student this summer who wanted (yes! actually wanted to work on building engineering!!) to work for us due to his interest in low energy building systems and sustainable development. Hydronics, son, the future is in hydronics.....
  • Pat Clark
    Pat Clark Member Posts: 187
    Options
    So Dave

Aren't you glad you went now. Sounds like a great class with an instructor who wants to make it better for his students. Wish I was closer and could help also. Keep up the good work.

Pat
This discussion has been closed.