Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IS IT TRUE

steve_38
steve_38 Member Posts: 74
Is it true that the gas we relieve from our
bodies is flamable???

Comments

• steve_38
    steve_38 Member Posts: 74
    thank you

cause i thought it would be a good idea and economical
    to burn our own gases that passes through our system. if everyone got together and did this, it would be great.
    We would first have to trap it and store it in some type of containment, and then just design a fart burning system to heat our homes. It might take some time but i will try to come up with a good idea. first maybe a large stock of Unions, garlic, and beans... One day it might put LIPA on the bowl...
  • Floyd_5
    Floyd_5 Member Posts: 418
    Yup...

Usta know a guy whose nickname was....

The "Great Blue Flame"

Sometime bend over light the lighter and reach back between
    your legs.....and.....

LET 'ER RIP!!!!

You'll feel the heat!!!!! :-)
  • Justin Gavin
    Justin Gavin Member Posts: 129
    I've seen a dairy Farm

That used Manure to produce There Electricity. Guy told me what he was doing and I couldn't believe it.

Here's how it works,

500,000 gallon concrete tank filled with Manure. Tubing in the tank heats the manure up to create gas. The gas was collected and used to fuel electric generators. The generators vented into a heat exchanger that heated the water in the tubes. We installed a boiler to start the system up. Once the manure was up and running it worked! And the boiler was taken off line.

Saved the farm quite a bit of money.

Justin
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Pig and chicken farms

have been doing a variation for years. Methane conversion is a real and viable energy source. However, even with my many brew/burrito nights, collection the next day would not be an option. Bad idea.
  • Floyd_5
    Floyd_5 Member Posts: 418
    Check this out....

http://www.pspaonline.com/waybrightsum.html

Actually visited this farm years ago.....
    wish I knew then what I know now.....
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    I believe

There was a room at wetstock that was using this procedure.

Maybe not in production , But certainly producing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Don Walsh
    Don Walsh Member Posts: 131
    RE: I Believe

Sort of like an alarm to tell us when to change tables!! Eh?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    We service a boiler

in north Jersey that uses the combustibles from a sewage treatment plant to burn to heat the rather large facility.

Trying to dial-in that burner is a bit more complicated, but so beneficial to the alternatives, we are glad to do it.

Can you spell m-e-t-h-a-n-e?

• Robert O'Connor_7
    Robert O'Connor_7 Member Posts: 688
    Ken?

Ken, Is that the Cedar Grove plant? If it is, your looking at me work....Very smelly stuff....Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • JimGPE_8
    JimGPE_8 Member Posts: 15
    Local utility

Local gas utility - I kid you not - People's Natural Gas Co.

Spawned no end of jokes in Junior High.

Trivial fact for the day: Bovine flatulence is considered a major contributor to global warming.

(It was only a matter of time before a bunch of guys chatting on a bulletin board turned scatological....)
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Methane...

from the digesters at certain types of sewage treatment plants has been and is being used to power pumps or to generate electricity. An under-utilized resource!
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    the best source

...of methane is termites. So, instead of drilling for gas, all we meed to do is bottle up termites. Seems they produce more, pound for pound than cows or people. Now you know!
  • PJO_5
    PJO_5 Member Posts: 199
    Many wastewater/sewage plants do this...

Most large-scale treatment plants use sludge digestion...which in turn gives off methane and it provides heat to the plant in most cases. Some advanced plants turn turbines with steam, etc.

Plants usually have a flame going very often near the digesters...this is when the methane production is more than required (it's wasted at that point).

It is an excellent way of using the potential energy available...recycling and polluting less at the same time!

Take Care, PJO
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Indeed...

Very useful. Works just fine, if the plant is big enough -- it's the gas from what are called anaerobic digesters. The stuff is horribly corrosive, though -- there is a good bit of moisture (wonder why?!) and sulphur, so you get a good bit of acid condensate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GaryDidier
    GaryDidier Member Posts: 229
    Methane

Old dumps create huge amounts of methane {a huge compost heap}. The dump in northport NY produced so much methane it was migrating into homes and causing explosions. A piping system was laid and capped to capture the gas. Generators were installed and ran 24/7 with the electricity produced sold to local utilities. It was running when I left the area 13 years ago. I wonder if it is still in production now.
    Gary from Granville
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Natural gas is methane

Landfill gas and natural gas are both primarily methane, natural gas is 92 to 95 percent methane and has a little ethane so an expensive instrument can tell it apart. Sealed landfills are now big and reliable methane producers, our local sewer plant generates enough methane to satisfy 1/3 of its electrical needs.
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Back flash...

If you are tempted to find out for yourself if bodily gasses are flammable, be aware that if it back flashes it can send fire into your colon and lower intestines.

I don't remember who told me about it, but there was a case a while back where a seaman thought it would be funny to light one off, and it back fired on him. He had to spend 6 weeks on him belly with his legs spread apart and his butt stuck way up in the air to keep his internals from growing shut due to scar tissue.

Serious stuff.

ME

• bob_25
    bob_25 Member Posts: 97
    Honeywell Flame Safeguard Controls

I wonder if any of you guy's have had trouble with controls on sh-- plant boilers? I have found that the little brass/copper strips in the relays that the contacts are mounted to change color and get brittle. bob
  • Joe_30
    Joe_30 Member Posts: 85

During WW II jitney buses in the far east ran on pig poop methane. old movies showed them putting along with a hot water type tank hanging off the back.
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277

Anything copper in a treatment plant is going to corrode. Think of it as constant source of work orders.
  • Howard
    Howard Member Posts: 57
    People's Energy in Chicago

People's Energy in Chicago used to be called People's Gas. I imagined a big room of people eating broccoli burritos. You know natural gas is odorless. The fragrance is added to make you aware that it is present.

Howard Hansen service technician extraordinaire, back after unexcused absence
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    I suppose we all could

get next to the burner every time the need arises.

Jed
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Howard, in all reality it was

Peoples Gas Light and Coke Company but we all called it Peoples gas. Even with my schoolyard humor mentality I never made the connection. I guess me arnt as smart as I thinked I was.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    I grew up on People's gas...

and never thought of it that way either.

Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right :0

Welcome back Howard, where you been, If you don't mind me askin?
  • tombig
    Welcome back yourself,

Glenn the HVAC man. It's a shame us Chicagoareanites couldn't have carpooled to Baltimore. I think BP towed a trailer of steam relics. I missed Dan's P-S seminar in Hillside too (booked solid). Spring in the Midwest brings thoughts of AC startups yet I have no winter installs to be evacuated and started. I am reverting to my hydronic roots. Trying to think how to test a 5000sf snow melt system in July so I can get paid. Any ideas? Construction schedules must be met.

Memories of WSII, your friend, Tom
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    I'm always here, Tom.

I usually am just lerking in the background, reading and absorbing as much as I can.

I wish I could have gone to WS IV, but I left the day after to go to Ohio to the Beckett Oil Burner factory for a two day seminar, plus I stoped in at N.C.I. in Sheffield Lake. Then I came home on Thursday, and went to a nother class on Friday. I can only swing so much, and as it is what I did go to cost me a grand plus a weeks wages, so I had to pas on WS IV, and had no time left for Dan's seminettes.

Sorry to hear your spring schedule is a little light. If it helps, we're really slow with this mild weather. No furnaces breaking down and hard to tune up or start up an A/C when it's 40 degrees outside :( We're getting behind on ourservice agrrements, and then when the first hot spell hits, I know we'll be up to our foreheads with A/C work.

Need to test a snowmelt system??? Call Wilmot mountain and see if you can rent one of their snow making machines for a day. Test your system and have Christmas in July all at the same time :)

Time to go to bed. Tommorow's another (hopefully busy) day.

See ya on the wall, my friend

Glenn

• tombig
    Hey Glenn

I didn't say I was slow....just no AC start ups. Chicago springs can be crazy. Too cold to evacuate one day and the next it's pushing 80* and all the winter installs want AC NOW!! I was thinking how nice not to deal with that this spring even though our weather has been agreeable. Anyway, I'll shout to ya at the next flatulence forum.

Tom Goebig
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Hi Glenn,

It may be time to start the "Return of Wetstock to Chicago" rumor. I wanted to go to RPA's RadFest in Madison and realized that I could go, or keep the peace at home, so I didn't go. By the way, someone has our e-mail addresses because I got a few infected e-mail's with your "glennhvacman" address. Also, the Rockford wastewater treatment plant uses captured methane to run boilers for heat and electric. Project was started a few years ago and I have not seen it yet. Maybe this fall. Have a great summer guys. Art
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Wetstock VI return to Chicago

What a great idea (HINT, HINT, Dan).Hey Art how you doing these days.

I know about the virus e-mails. I've gotten several "undeliverable" returned mails that I neither sent nor do I know the person it was sent to. Gotta love hackers.

I wonder if Crystal lake reclaims the methane from the sewage? Lord knows it SMELLS like there's enough to heat the whole city :)
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Sorry, Tom

misread between the lines.

Tell me about Chicago springs. i was just reminded the other day by a homeowner that when I cleaned their A/C 2 years ago, it was March First and it was 70 degees outside.

Have fun this summer.

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.