Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper to galvanized

Options
Alan_6
Alan_6 Member Posts: 87
I ran across a boiler-baseboard application today. All the baseboard and fittings are copper, all the piping appears to be a galvanized. The piping is all fitted into copper fittings, and appears to be sweated with 50/50 (lead/tin) solder. The system was installed in 1962. One of the fittings on the return manifold is leaking from the sweat joint. Would a silver bearing solder, stick to these materials, if it were clean?

Comments

• Alan_6
    Options
    piping materials

• Ray Landry
    Ray Landry Member Posts: 203
    Options

I think I've sweated copperxrheemed adapters onto galvanized nipples before.. used silver creek solder and made sure my flux worked on galvanized (Read the back)
  • Ray Landry
    Ray Landry Member Posts: 203
    Options

I think I've sweated copper x rheemed adapters onto galvanized nipples before.. used silver creek solder and made sure my flux worked on galvanized (Read the back)
  • Is it Bundy tubing ?

We see that sometimes around here , mainly 3/8 rigid , home run from each radiator to the boiler . It looks like galvanized piping . If it's Bundy , it can soldered like regular copper .

Heres a pic with Bundy tube .
  • Alan_6
    Options
    bundy tubing

The tubing is the same size as 1/2" copper, 5/8 O.D., and is rigid like L or M copper. I scraped the tubing, it was a galvanized color, like sheet metal. Is there any stampings that identify this tubing as bundy tubing?
  • I never looked

for stampings or lettering on Bundy tubing . I know it's very thin , like DWV copper , and I've seen it in 3/4 , 1/2 , 3/8 and 1/4 . Solder takes to the tubing just like copper .
This discussion has been closed.