Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Attaching Pex and Fittings

JudeNY
JudeNY Member Posts: 50
I am installing pex in Thermofin using Wirsbo 1/2" pex and fittings (pex to pex and pex to 3/4" copper). Can someone give me a lesson in how to attach fittings to pex ? We have basic DIY knowledge and tools but no special pex tools.

Comments

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    Wirsbo

You would be best served by getting a copy of the Wirsbo installation manual, but basically two joining methods for Wirsbo....you can use compression style fittings that only require a couple of open end or adjustable wrenches, or you can use the expandable fittings style with backing rings. This requires the use of Wirsbo's tubing expander. Simple to use but an investment required to purchase the tool.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jared M
    Jared M Member Posts: 31
    I could be wrong

but I believe that the Wirsbo aquapex fittings (the expandable fitting) are not listed for use in a heating system. You want to use a compression type fitting listed for use in a heating system or use a manifold and fittings that is sold for that use.
  • kevin coppinger_3
    kevin coppinger_3 Member Posts: 13
    the wirbo expansion

style fittings are fine to use on Heating systems...I have done many a baseboard system at 180F temps...kpc
  • JudeNY

I have Wirsbo compression fittings and hepex plus. Can anyone give me direction/tips on connecting the fittings to the pex ? I was unable to find the Wirsbo installation manual online.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    go to your supplier

and get trained on and rent an expansion tool or exchange your propex fittings for the appropriate QS style fittings as found on page 12-13 of the march 2003 home comfort catalogue.Your pipe supplier should be able to answer any questions that you have about connecting the pipe to the fittings.If they are not able to, ask them for the name and phone of the rep agency that they buy thru and the Rep. will be able to explain the correct assembly procedure.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Propex

Old Heatpex was not approved for use with propex fittings because of the way that and type of oxygen barrier used. "hePex plus Barrier" tubing has an better engineered oxygen barrier application and is fully compatable with Propex fittings.
  • JudeNY

Earthfire, I have the QS fittings, not Propex. I am looking for attachment directions for the QS fittings to hepex.
  • rod robbins
    rod robbins Member Posts: 50

The fittings are typical compresion fittings.The factory taining i took was lick-stick-wiggle.meaning to lubricate the o-ring with spit.wiggle the fitting in place being carefull not to damage the o ring.tighten .Not much but that is all you get at Wirsbo.
  • JudeNY

Thanks rod. It sound straightforward.
This discussion has been closed.