Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric instantanous ar radiant

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
insisting on electric, won't consider LP or oil. Anyway to use a PowerStar or AquaStar? I'm pushing him for an electric boiler but he wants to try a instantanous.

I've heard warm returm temperatures may lock them up or ramp back the output. Seems like a low flow rate also.

Anyone??

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Bob_24
    Bob_24 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    electric boiler

We have an electric boiler that modulates elements based on setting from a built-in aquastat, built-in supply water sensor and standard outdoor sensor / automatic reset control. We would be glad to send you info, we stock these boilers in 6 kW – 23 kW.
    GoPack
  • Dan Peel
    Dan Peel Member Posts: 431
    Options
    with buffer

I keep going into that thought circle too.
    The electric "advantage" will always be it's 100% usable BTU.
    The 1.5 gpm @ 90deg rise of a 135Mbtu (40KW) instantaneous is worlds away from 13.5gpm @ 10deg rise for radiant delivery.
    Let me know if you craft a viable solution - electric tank type heater or boiler is where I keep ending up. Enjoy....Dan

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • nick_7
    nick_7 Member Posts: 15
    Options

if you absolutely have to use electric for radiant heat, don't you always do better by opting for electric mats or cables set in gypcrete. i mean, doesn't taking the step of heating and circulating water only increase your cost and also potential for noise/trouble?
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    With an electric boiler.............

it always gives the client the future option of upgrading to a fossil fuel source. When using electric mats or cable, a short or open circuit pretty much ends your radiant days. Cost aside, the boiler seems like the more advantageous option.

hb

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Electric

is not generally my choice, but the homeowners. Electric cable and or mats get fairly pricey for large areas. They are great for bath or kitchen areas, I think.

Also hard to repair should a cable break.

With a hydronic system you can change the heat source, which is exactly what this fellow will do, I predict, when he gets his first power bill!

He has solar and a wood boiler planned for down the road.

hot rod

This discussion has been closed.