Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect water heater

Dana
Dana Member Posts: 126
You don't.

Comments

• chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    Heat exchange

When a cold start boiler gets a call from the indirect for heat, how do you keep the heat from going from the indirect back to the boiler, and therefore running out of hot water? I was helping a friend of mine today, and I asked him what he planed on doing. He didnt have an answer. He understood what I was saying, but didnt know how to stop it from happening.

Normally I install a Buderus, with the Logomatic control, or a Munchkin, so I have not run into this issue.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    timers/delays

there isnt a timer or a delay, that would allow the boiler to run for a couple of minutes before starting the circulator feeding the indirect?

Chuck

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Reverse Aquastat

You can hook up a reverse aquastat "B" to prevent the problem .I believe the 2107 has a setting to prevent the circulators from kicking on below a desired temperature for condensation .
  • Never really

thought about it, but you're right; the warm water coming back from the indirect would pre-heat the boiler.

The Viessmann Vitogas boilers have a thermostat that disables the pump until the boiler gets to 130° to prevent condensation. That feature could be used for more than one purpose.

But come to think of it, it really doesn't take very long to heat the boiler water; there's only a few gallons in the indirect system.

• Steve Eayrs
    Steve Eayrs Member Posts: 424

Chuck, Most cold start boiler I know of have their own recommended control statigy. Some supply and include whats needed, others just recommend something.
    EK is a good example of a non-condensing oil fired colds start boiler, and their controls don't open the dhw zone, or any others unless the boiler return temp. is warm enough.

A triple aquastat (double acting aquastat) would work, as they canbe set up so the pump/zone doesn't kick on unless the temp. is above the low setting.

Or as other recommended a normally closed aquastat that opens on temp. rise would work. I'm sure you could also give the dhw priority this way too.

If this is a non-condensating type boiler, it gives you another reason for wanting to do this.

Steve

• jerrygb46_4
    jerrygb46_4 Member Posts: 6
    reverse acting aquastat

Seem like everybody hooked up too all this HI-TECH boola-boola and forget about the OLD L4006B (B)as in boiler).Just set it at 130 deg and Walla.
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Amtrol

Amtrol's latest version of the smart control (the one with three buttons instead of just one) has a prepurge setting. the options are 0, 4, and 8 minutes. I believe the manual says that it is useful for cold starts and for larger boilers.

Tom M.
This discussion has been closed.