Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 yr. old boilers

Mad Dog
Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
he specializes in just those problems. He works for a company called NTT, National Technology Transfer. Mad Dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=299&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• BK
    BK Member Posts: 5
    tube problems

we have 26 Boilers with a total of 2080 tubes. We have had 6 tube failures. The tubes are pitting and look like they are twelve years old. (they are only 2 yrs. old) Our water treatment company says that it is due to under deposit corrosions because the boilers were not boiled out for over a year. Also because when the boilers were built we did not have chemical ports and did not add chemicals for a year. Our plumber told us it's due to a poor grade of steel for the tubes. Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Who should I believe, my plumber or my chemical company?

Thanking you in advance,
    BK
  • BK
    BK Member Posts: 5
    tube problems

we have 26 Boilers with a total of 2080 tubes. We have had 6 tube failures. The tubes are pitting and look like they are twelve years old. (they are only 2 yrs. old) Our water treatment company says that it is due to under deposit corrosions because the boilers were not boiled out for over a year. Also because when the boilers were built we did not have chemical ports and did not add chemicals for a year. Our plumber told us it's due to a poor grade of steel for the tubes. Does anyone have any insight into this problem? Who should I believe, my plumber or my chemical company?

Thanking you in advance,
    BK
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Always give the plumber the benefit of the doubt

chemical companies want to do one thing: sell more chemicals. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    BK, Your boiler tube problem is quite simple... lack of proper

> we have 26 Boilers with a total of 2080 tubes.

> We have had 6 tube failures. The tubes are

> pitting and look like they are twelve years old.

> (they are only 2 yrs. old) Our water treatment

> company says that it is due to under deposit

> corrosions because the boilers were not boiled

> out for over a year. Also because when the

> boilers were built we did not have chemical ports

> and did not add chemicals for a year. Our

> plumber told us it's due to a poor grade of steel

> for the tubes. Does anyone have any insight into

> this problem? Who should I believe, my plumber

> or my chemical company?

>

> Thanking you in

> advance, BK

• George_10
    George_10 Member Posts: 580
    BK, boiler tube problem

BK, your boiler tube problem is quite simple... lack of proper chemical cleaning and treatment. Oxygen corrosion and pitting is most likely the cause of the damage you are experiencing not poor quality metal.

The boilers should have been boiled out with a good quality cleaning solution designed for this purpose. After cleaning, the boilers should immediately be treated at the time of filling with the proper treatment to control pH and deal with the oxygen in the water. Steam boilers and hot water boilers require different treatments.

You may contact me at 1-800-543-5975 if you would like additional information or if you have questions. You can find more information on our company on our website, www.rhomarwater.com. We deal with these kinds of problems every day.

Dwight Hedgpeth
    Technical Director
    Rhomar Water Management Inc
  • sinkdoc 4338
    sinkdoc 4338 Member Posts: 11
    boiler water treatment

Boilers need proper water treatment if you want the boiler to last. It is important to boil out new boilers because oxygen is very damaging to boiler tubes. It is not bad steel causing the tubes to fail, your plumber does not know about water treatment,because he would have known that a boil out is necessary. find a reliable water treatment company and get started before you replace these boilers.

• Al Letellier
    Al Letellier Member Posts: 781
    boiler tubes

You didn't mention the manuf. of the boilers (don't), but my first stop would be their rep or the factory direct. No reasonable manuf would want this out. I'm sure they would want to get to the bottom of it and assist you in solving this issue. Give them a try.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.