Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which Central Air unit is best?

I agree that installation is as important if not more important than the equipment.

Unfortunately, you don't always get what you pay for. But you certainly don't get what you don't pay for.

Mark

Comments

• Frank_13
    Frank_13 Member Posts: 6
    Which central air unit is best?

I am building a new house and need to know which central air unit is best? Carrier or American Standard?
  • Gregg Jackson
    Gregg Jackson Member Posts: 55
    american standard

Frank,

According to Consumer Reports (may 2001) American Standard has the least amount of problems as compared to all other major brands. I also find the extended warranty program to be one of the best in the business. You can get extended warranties through Am. Standard dealers.

Gregg

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Trane

We're a Trane dealer. American Standard bought Trane because, well, you fiqure it out. A/S has the money and Trane has the technology.

Gary

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jeff Lawrence_18
    Jeff Lawrence_18 Member Posts: 7
    Heating and Cooling systems

I don't know where you're at, but I wouldn't buy a system based on the name. I sell and install Rheem equipment. In the 4 years I've been installing their equipment, I've 3 warranty claims. Wish I could say that about the other stuff I've installed.

The best, most highly rated system in the world, installed by an incompetent person is a piece of junk.

The worst system installed properly can run for years.

Pick your installer, not the system.
  • Bill_14
    Bill_14 Member Posts: 345
    Installer Vs. Equipment

They are both equally important. Stick with A/S (Trane), Carrier or Lennox. These are all quality manufactuers. However, only allow quality contractors to bid on your installation. You will get what you pay for! Good luck.

Bill
  • John Mills_3
    John Mills_3 Member Posts: 221
    What they said!

I think A-S/Trane's reliability has gone downhill lately but still would prefer it over Carrier. The Made in Mexico A coils of the Carrier tend to be more leak prone than any other brand. An extended warranty would be wise on anything these days, hate to say.
  • Starch
    Starch Member Posts: 102
    I've been....

...an American Standard dealer for 7 years.

Can only remember 1 warranty call-back in that time!

A.S. is good stuff, user friendly, and easy to service.

Starch
  • Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    I just put in 14 seer Lennox units in my house

nice and quiet - great quality mad dog

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    that's for sure

How many out there know how to measure net BTU to the living space? How about duct leakage? System efficiency vs. appliance efficiency? actual static pressure? Not too many in my opinion. The last guy I had doing my AC (before I started doing it) used a $10 meat thermometer to check super heat... and ran 25 foot rolls of flex...
    Gary

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    True dat.

Janitrol also named Goodman ain't great, but they don't mean to be. They exist solely to fill the inexpensive equipment space in the market. There outa be a law but this is the downside of free market. I have a customer with an 800,000 house with the most inexpensive HVAC equipment availible. They've had nothing but trouble. I like the Bryant/Carrier line. Trane and Lennox are high quality too. Although Lennox in my area will only sell parts to Lennox dealers/contractors so it's a pain to work on them if you're not. WW

• harvey
    harvey Member Posts: 153
    a/c units

I'm assuming you're using a boiler for heat. We,ve installed Rheem equipment for 21 years. They build a quality product for a fair price AND they stand behind their product. They are the only manufacturer I know that has replaced equipment BEFORE it failed. If they realize they have a problem they make it right. A quality installer is also very important.
  • John Mills_3
    John Mills_3 Member Posts: 221
    I agree!

Everyone has put out a lemon. Only Rheem went to the extra to boot known problem units before they affected the customer. They are still giving free 90s out if the miserable "drum" heat exchanger of the late 80s and early 90s fails. All manufacturers should be that customer service oriented.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    CHOO! CHOO!

Trane all the way!

All things being equal, which they are not, just look at the outdoor unit.

Now that thing is going to sit on a pad along side your house. Ever pick up a rock when you're mowing the lawn?

Trane/AS units have darn near bullet proof covering on the outdoor coil. The others do not. One rock at high velocity and one copper coil...hmmmmm...

I once saw a dozer knock a Trane heat pump over and I mean OVER, and the heat pump never quit! All I ever needed to see.

Can you tell I like Trane?!?!?!

Mark H

• Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Installer most important

as far as a name we have been HEIL dealers a long time..going on fifteen years...very few warranty issues and if one does arrise it is handled quickly by our distributer. They have a great extended warranty program also.

• jerrygb46_3
    jerrygb46_3 Member Posts: 11
    a/c

Anybody have any input about RUUD units??
  • Bill_14
    I disagree

As long as you include the better contractors to provide proposals that include apple-to-apple bids with quality equipment, you should feel very comfortable.

Low bid does not guarantee a thing for the end-user.

Bill
  • Mark J Strawcutter
    Mark J Strawcutter Member Posts: 625
    so what is it you don't agree with? (nm)

• Bill_14
    I do agree Mark...(nm)

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Looked through a late 60s/early 70s neighborhood last night. Only originals (presumed) were Rheem. My parents' Rheem lasted about 35 years; an uncle has one at least that age still functioning. I've replaced a couple of condenser fans in ones at least as old, corroded electric connections in others.

Appears that all now use Copeland scroll compressors. In commercial refrigeration applications (remote mount outside) Copeland reciprocating compressors seem indestructible.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    rheem

i,ve used all the units mentioned and in alot of cases i,ve found rheem units to be a excellent unit there higher eff.unit 13 seer unit are quite and there air handlers with there factory drain pan are quite small making them the ideal for tight attics over the past 3 years i,ve installed mostly there split systems i,ve had no promblem with them but as stated before it,s all up to the installer the sweeten of a cheaper price is worst then the bitterness of poor quality.we lose more then 2/3 of all quotes to low bidders insist on external lined sheetmetal seperate suppl and returns to all rooms ,high media filter system instead of 1 inch filter grill and properly sized duct work ,in real life your supplies and returns should not sound like a jet take off.p.s. i,ve been in the hvac business since 84 there all good units stick with any companies higher eff units and compair what your getting don,t go for the guy that says it will only take a day and it a peice of cake and make sure your that all the work that your going to get done is done right ask your contractor for a out line of what there going to do for your money you will be living with it good luck
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    forgot to say

also rheem is one of the only companies that,s unit come with a low pressure and manual high press. reset every body else it,s a opition and you get to mount it external to there unit or they say there r&d says they don,t need them but they offer them as a opition?and most of there unit come with a cap start while it,s a opition else where may be it,s me ?
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Jon_2
    Jon_2 Member Posts: 109
    drum heat exchanger

The wholesaler here in northern NY only sold Heat Controller furnaces and they were the same as the Rheem and Rudd. We made the mistake of installing appox. 30 of the drum type, what a nightmare. The wholesaler first gave us a new heat exchanger plus a $250 credit to our account on a changeout of a drum type heat exchanger. Now the heat changer is free but we are charged for shipping the old one back to the factory and and for the new one. Ends up costing us appox. $ 95.00 in shipping and the poor homeowner bites the bullet for the labor for the installation.
This discussion has been closed.