Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler and Hydronics class

Wayco Wayne
Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
I have just agreed to teach a night class on Boilers and Hydronics for the Wash D.C. ACCA chapter. It's a 4th year class in a 4 year journeymans program. The only problem is the class goes one night a week for 3 hours from Sept through Dec. and the text book has one chapter on hydronics and no course outline. I need recommendations on resource materials and how to approach the subject in a logical fashion, starting with the basics and ending up in designing systems. There's a lot of time to fill, and a lot of information floating around that needs to be organised and presented so it makes sense. Most of all I want to show the class why hydronics excites me and makes me grunt like Tim the Toolman Taylor when he sees a 10 HP chain saw. (the Binsford 1000 model) These guys are predominately scorched air jockeys. Help me fill their heads with hot water. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Wayne

I would buy Siggys book. Its written just like a text book and would walk you right thru every class.

I can't wait to get his CD which I hear has lots of good tools.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Jeff Alexander
    Jeff Alexander Member Posts: 2
    Course Material

"Residential Hydronic Heating" is what you need. It was written to be the text for the I=B=R schools. Lots of great reference material. And, you can buy it from Dan. It is listed under Books and More.
  • Steve Levine
    Steve Levine Member Posts: 106
    Course Material

I agree with Jeff. The "Residential Hydronic Heating" book would be great...Not to make light of Siggy's book. It's also great, but I think the level of the first, "Residential Hydronic Heating" is better suited for your pupose.
  • Wayco Wayne
    Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
    Thanks for the input guys

I think I'm a little daunted by the task at hand. If I had a course outline it would help. Give me a subject and I can talk my way around it pretty well. But to organize my knowlege & thoughts to build an understanding, that's real work. I'm also thinking of bringing in some guest talkers, maybe some manufacturer reps for boiler companies or some pex reps. I have 40 class hours to get somehing done. WW

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    You will do fine,

Exactly the same thing (overview of residential systems) happened to me last year. Break down the weeks into subjects like; electrical, pipe sizing, applications alone is 4 weeks or more(radiant,chilled water, primary/secondary, potable waterheating, etc.) I put file folders together for each class and started sorting and adding ideas and materials. Your NOT there to lecture, your there to direct and teach. Have you ever read Dan's book on "teaching technicians", excellent! I drag all kinds of "stuff" into class and do show and tell, my latest item is wire and insulators from an old single wire electrical system 1930's, I'm going to mount it on a few 2X4's so they can see it. Bring in some zone valves and take them apart, discuss the different motor and seat options. Ask for a donation or two from your suppliers. I went to a local supply house and they had a pile of water damaged relays, pressure switches, thermostats, I walked out with two boxes of free material. Don't take it for granted that the students already know something. Many people are to proud to admit that they never really learned a subject. Many of them may know 24vac is less than 115vac, but that's it. Grounding, why is 2 phase different from 3 phase, how does a transformer work, sequence of operation, why is it better to have the purge cycle before the gas and ignition;), Keep in mind that you have 16 classes to teach 100 years of experience. At best your going to cover the highlights. Let me know if I can send you something, Erie zone valve maybe?
  • Doug wagoner_2
    Doug wagoner_2 Member Posts: 2
    teaching classes

Don't forget field trips. Just about any system will be a good teaching experience. You can point out the good, the bad and the "ugly". Start out with a small residential system and move to a large industrial system. Permission and Scheduling is the key.
  • Dave Jahnke
    Dave Jahnke Member Posts: 16
    Hydronics Class

Talk to Mark Eatherton (ME). He teaches a boiler class here in Denver that is excellent. His e-mail address in in the Find a Contracor potion under Advanced Hydronics (zip code 80223)
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Wayne,

I like your idea of having something to show them.

I attended a class on "chassis burners" at Viessman yesterday(that was showing both oil and gas burners to a class of mostly oil guys) and the part that struck me as pertinant was the lab work. We went over a pile of things in the classroom, then were taken to the lab to see it all in practice. Makes a world of difference in my book!
    Ask for some demonstrator appliances/controls and relays from your local distributors. If they won't give you the help,(and they REALLY SHOULD!!!!),try some manufacturers. I know there are lots watching and listening here, without saying too much, so "hit em' up "! Best of luck. I know firsthand how tough it is to fill a position in the field these days.Anyone worth their salt, is working!

Make sure you make that your first lesson! Good luck , Chris
  • Murph'_4
    Murph'_4 Member Posts: 209
    listen to Art

Many Areas to consider, go with sizing systems, The importance of air removal, setting up the combustion!! Then get into the controls, the difference between gas and oil, pumps regulators ,and switches come on Wayne you KNOW this stuff, Don't make me come down there!!

MJ.
This discussion has been closed.