Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEED GOOD BOOK TO LEARN SERVICE

I need a good book to learn boiler and furnace service, I've found plenty of them for AC and refrigeration work but not a lot for boiler controls etc. Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• Robert O'Connor_4
    Robert O'Connor_4 Member Posts: 88
    Contact

Tim MCElwain at gastc@cox.net. He wrote quite a few books that should help you out. He has a whole list.

Regards,
    Robert
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Dirk,

For oil service, check out Firedragon Ent. Click on Oil Tech Talk and they have a direct link.

For gas service, Timmie McElwain IS the man . Anyone got his email address ? I lost it with the great computer crash of 2 weeks ago !

Dirk, from a personal prospective, I've learned that no matter how much you think you know, you don't know JACK! I'm glad to see someone asking for the resourses to learn MORE. Been in the game for quite a while , and am always humbled by coming here. Some of the brightest minds in heating are around this place to help whenever they can . Chris
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    and one other thing

there is nothing like being in the field. No matter what the books tell you, there is one more problem then was written about. Thats the one you are working on next. There are certian things that no book can prepare you for. A no heat call, and I cant figure out why I dont have power. I was going crazy, untill i realized that someone had hung a christmas decoration from a nail, just above the emergency switch. When they did, they kill 120 to the boiler, and no heat. I couldnt find the problem, because I couldnt see the switch. I bet there are a 1000 other stories like that, or better. They just aren't in a book.

Chuck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Hey Chuck - everything you ever

wanted to know and then some is in my manuals. Just kidding - nothing like practical experience in the basement, roof top or whatever.
  • Thanks Chris & Robert for

the lead. I have sent Dirk an e-mail and will be mailing him a catalog Friday. Office is closed tomorrow school all day.
  • Murph'_4
    Murph'_4 Member Posts: 209
    Hey timmie.....

Roger Schilling said to so hello!!

Murph'
  • Dirk Dykstra
    Dirk Dykstra Member Posts: 3
    THANKS FOR THE LINKS EVERYONE

• Geno_15
    Geno_15 Member Posts: 158
    books

What state are you in? Are you a homeowner or a tech? In Conn. you need schooling and trade experience,
    {apprenticeship}, to work towards your license. Between the two you'll get the exp. and training you need. Books are o.k. but really for this trade you need hands on with a good copmpany. If the company your working for isn't giving you the training you need or desire it's time to switch. There's plenty of places to work.
This discussion has been closed.