Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

hydronic radiant on 2nd Floor vs. panel radiators

Earthfire
Earthfire Member Posts: 543
that number is low ,at least at the contractors cost for warmboard that I've been quoted in my area.

Comments

• Rich_13
    Rich_13 Member Posts: 7
    Warmboard subfloor vs. panel/baseboard radiators on 2nd Floor

My wife and I will be building a 2 story colonial in Putnam County, NY. We are a young couple that make a decent living but are not wealthy by any means. We are thinking of installing the Warmboard hydronic subfloor system. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, with this product/system. What do you recommend we do on the 2nd Floor where the bedrooms will be? Keeping in mind that cost savings is important to us, should we use radiant floor panels, panel style radiators, baseboards? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Just a suggestion...

1) Warmboard in areas with hard surface flooring (tile, wood, engineered wood, etc.) where "scatter" rugs will be kept to a minimum. This includes ALL baths unless you just insist that the bath be carpeted.

2) Panel radiators in other spaces. Locate them where they have the best "view" of the coldest parts of the room (outside walls/windows). Include such as part of your aesthetic design. Ideally size them to work at the same temperature as the warmboard--if utterly impractical keep them working with a supply temperature below 140° at least 80% of the time.

3) Panel radiator in the master bath (particularly if large and used for "relaxation") IN ADDITION to the warmboard floor.

4) Condensing, modulating boiler. If everything is sized to work at the same general temperature you need only use the built-in, variable speed circulator available on at least on model.

Not inexpensive, but not extravagant.

Wonderful comfort and the highest possible efficiency.

Very high adaptability to change.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    How could I forget...

TRVs on the panel radiators.

Proportional two-way air temp & surface (as appropriate) sensing devices on the warm board IF you want to best use the modulating ability of a certain boilers' circulator.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I have a number

of Warmboard jobs up and running. They perform as advertised. Make sure the framer is in on the plan, it takes a little more time and muscle to work the panels.

I agree with the panel or baseboards for the sleeping areas. Quicker response, able to withstand minor setback programs, not sensitive to floor coverings.

While warm floors are nice, typically we don't stand around in the sleeping areas very often. I walk in at night, get horizontal a few seconds later, and out the same path in the morning :)

Use the radiant in the bathing and gathering areas. Don't forget shower walls!

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rich_13
    Rich_13 Member Posts: 7

Thanks for the feedback really appreciate it. One last thing-spoke to Warmboard salesman who told me to estimate $8-$12/sf for materials and installation, including boiler. Is this realistic?

Where are you located? If you work in Carmel in Putnam County, NY are you interested in providing an estimate?

Thanks,
    Rich
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    $$$$$$$

No product rep or salesman should EVER quote prices. He has NO idea about what a companies overhead might be so do not count on those numbers.

Find a contractor in your area that is:

#1: Experienced with radiant systems and controls.

#2: Experienced with "Warmboard" design and installation.

#3: Able to provide references.

I would say that you will find the Warmboard salesman was a bit shy of actual installed price.

Good luck with your project!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    I often find

That salesmen who quote prices are a littlr on the optimistic side. They live in too perfect a world where everything always goes according to plan, there is never anything in the way and stuff always fits together just as nice as you please.
This discussion has been closed.