Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

munchkin

The Munchkin should have a primary loop regaurdless of the media it is supplying. This will ensure the pressure drop though the Munchkin is over come. This will prevent short cycling and worse case flashing with in the coils. I installed one of the new t50m and the customer was right beside the uit with the cover off and asked when are you going to fire it up. When I told him that is as running he did not buy it so I told him to look in to the veiw port. We do inside trainning here at heat transfer products and there is no charge for the training. You should if at all possible run the 4" vent. The only problem with over venting in lenght or undersizing in diameter is that the blower motor can only overcome X amount of resitance/friction. This will not let the blower pull 100% of the vacuum across the negative pressure gas valve and as a result the valve will not open fully so you will have a decease in net btu output.As far as out door reset goes that is preference only.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    questions on munchkin

have a couple of questions on munchkin boiler for replacement of hydrotherm pulse need to know
    are these unit quite the custermer is tried of the noise with there old boilerand are there any p/s piping required for stanard base board system this will be the first condensing boiler for me have done some low mass but i usally stick with high mass it's a hard sale the high eff stuff can only seem to press them when there is no chimmey every body wants the best but when you give the price compared to a standard boiler they opt for the cheaper job they don't want to cough up for the high end i try to stick to buderus boiler there price is even steven with the american stuff thanks for any help check the job later today
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • tim smith_2
    tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
    Munchkin

I did alot of asking before putting in my first one also, now have done 4. Been very happy with noise level, also would pipe p/s. Use large enough pump for boiler loop as this boiler wants good flow. Unit tends to just purr along. Not one problem yet... You will also want to do the Vision training with them so you can use the full capacity of their reset system built in. Otherwise you cannot use that feature.
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Munchkin

I would also suggest P/S piping. They are very quiet. Nicest boiler on the market for the price. Vision controls really fine tune this boilers operation.
  • clammy
    reset controls

i know to use these boilers to there max you need a reset but is it necessary and can you get by without on a simple condo baseboars system builder was to cheap to put a chimmey and everybody has to put up with noisey pulse boiler which are installed in a pantry under the master bed room this is a retriement community set up and most have nothing better to do except listen to these units run thanks again
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    What did you pay

For the "Vision" training?? Around here the distributor charges $100 per person for the class. Contrast that with Viessmann that transported myself and two crew to Waterloo, fed us, housed us and trained us for two days for $0.00 cost to me.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    I paid

nothing for my Vision training.

I got to spend the day with John Sawyer and as a SPECIAL BONUS, Bob Bona was there as well!!

Not sure why suppliers do that.

I need to get to the Viessmann school here pretty soon as well.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • clammy
    venting

toke a look at it today quite noisey only has a 2' intake andexhaust.looking to replace the intake and exhaust withat a min.3 but according to the lit.on the unit i,m a little bit over combined intake /exhaust limits by about15 feet thinking of running 4' to fall into the requirments are these real tight on the vent am i better off running the 4 as i had planned and be safe thanks
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
  • viv
    viv Member Posts: 9
    munchkin

I am in the process of installing one of these boilers ,which the owner purchaced.Is there any good features about this product.

The engineer has done a drawing but noticed that there is not primary pump?????

the system consists of 1 weil mc lain indirect fired hw heater 80 gallon,1 munchkin boiler 200.000 input,i heat pump loop with external fluid cooler,i in floor radiant zone (600 sq feet) 1 radiant zone in the joist to heat slate tile .
    All these zones i was figuring on piping primary seconday but the engineer shows different (almost like series)?????
    thanks for the help
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    199m

Read the manufacturers literature.

You need the equivalent flow of a Taco 0011 for the model.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Steve Ebels
    Steve Ebels Member Posts: 904
    Has the engineer

Read anything about the Munchkin? The one you have needs at least 20 GPM flowing through it while it's firing or it'll short cycle to death IMHO. I'd be careful on this job and give HTP a call to seek their advice. Maybe you could have the engineer call them if you don't.
  • munchkin-man
    munchkin-man Member Posts: 247
    Viv

I would get a hold of the vision manual and look at the piping arrangement. Send it to your engineer so he is aware that when using vision one the indirect must be piped in before the primary loop pump. The primary loop pump is not energized when the indirect in prioroty is energized. This will allow one to use the indirect pump to supply the indirect and overcome the friction in the Muchkin. If you are not going to use the vision 1 then see our 925 manual for piping and that would be off the primary after the primary loop pump. A 199 requires a minimum of an 0011 to overcome the head through the Munchkin. The indirect you are using will want to se a pump around this size maybe an 0010
This discussion has been closed.