Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I just found this article

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
I don't quite follow his reasoning on the slab thermal break layer?? Do you?

Stephen: "The insulation works only as a thermal break. It shouldn’t have a very high R-value because we want the slab to act as a heat sink in summer. I used foil-faced bubble wrap material which is made specifically for under-slab use. It doubles as a thermal break and radiant barrier. And it’s inexpensive. Rigid foam, like foil-faced technifoam or blueboard, also works. Around here, the ground under a slab remains at a constant 58 degrees F. Further north, the ground temperature is colder and more insulation is required. Further south, little or no insulation is required. Carlsbad Caverns stays at a constant 70 degrees F. while the surface temperature outside varies between zero and 115 degrees F."

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    I would assume...

...that he thinks that the bubble foil insulation works as a heat sink/insulator if installed under the concrete, kind of like regular insulation would work. Basically, he feels that the bubble insulation would keep the heat above the insulation, within the slab itself and nothing would go below it. In my opionion, this is a regular mis-conception. A good friend of mine, Rick Mayo (will be at Wetstock III), has sent me a study a little while back where it clearly stated that the bubble foil insulation only works as described if you have air surrounding the bubbles on the under side. At least thats what I think it was. I can try and find it for you if you're interested.

See, my problem is that I always take everything that I read for right, but learned in the mean time that I can't always do that.
    Kind of like the article there. There are a couple of things I thought were different from what I had thought. So what better way was there for me to find out if all that was mentioned in this article was right? I was hoping that experts like yourself would comment on it and clarify that for me. Thank you for taking the time to read over it and for the comment.

What a great place this is!! I've heard comments from some people in the past that I recommended to visit the wall, that 'they can't afford' to take the time to come here. I say, how could you afford NOT to come here? All you have to do is read and be like a spunch and soak it all up, AND, of course, ask questions.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.