Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sleepers

Wayco Wayne
Wayco Wayne Member Posts: 615
165° too cool. But back to my floor. After putting the sleepers on 16" centers, (how wide are the sleepers in this app?) and running 2 lengths of 1/2 inch tubing how thick is the plywood you put over them to mount the hardwood floor on? Also, Mark I came up with 165° from my Wirsbo software. I put in for suspended tubing since I thought that was the closest application to what I was doing. If that's wrong please let me know. Thanks. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• Wayco Wayne
    I'm figuring a

radiant floor. The contractor wants to go on top of the sub floor. I figured I could go without plates at a temp of 165 with a surface temp of 79 for hardwood. This means 8" centers. How much space should we allow in between sleepers for the tubing to lay in. Would it help to put in a reflective bubble wrap in under the tube. The floor is above a crawlspace with R-30 batts beneath.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Try This

put the sleepers 16" oc and put high R sheething between the sleepers.

Then install your tubing and after that, put some stone dust or sand on top of that.

165* seems high to me. Is there going to be an air gap between the tubing and the new floor?

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    O.K.Guys , and Mark , I'll try this one more time , ° sign

I learned a cool trick from my friend Alan Mercurio for making the ° sign . Instead of getting the asterisk and making people guess.... Post the number, hold the "alt" key down . Then punch in, FROM THE NUMBER PAD 0176 and walla. , the magic ° sign appears ! Check it out ! 180° 225° 135° It's easy and fun to teach !
    Try it a few times first , but after a while it comes to you like second nature . ° ° ° ... Works every time !

Like Dan says, "We stop learning the day AFTER they plant us in the ground ". Words to live by , in my mind . Chris
  • chuck shaw
    chuck shaw Member Posts: 584
    sort of like this

180 °, or this ° 212° cool.

whoever figured this out had too much time on his hands ;-)

Chuck

• paul lessard_2
    paul lessard_2 Member Posts: 192
    °°°°°°°þm²ðΩz0®v,├¶i

°°°°°°wow neat buttonÅb#j5╬▬☻▬▐«╬♫ÄÄÄÄ☺o♂g╟╟U¬π∟ 8q∟∟♫cÄ⌐îyⁿφ╣3₧g/♀;═öÅ·▒öù↓y§qÅ─ÉY■MⁿêK»+¼öÑ∩↑¡¶Yf┬Bìêf▲æ)├òS╠╚¿]~►é╠♠○◘•♦-♣☺2♥óÜ→okstopitnowyoucrazysobandgettoworkÆmä¡¢∞αö⌂≤σ╜Ü°ε¼╡╝Σ╥ò│/KCQ♪╡╫î
  • paul lessard_2
    paul lessard_2 Member Posts: 192

q“╓∞Åb#j5╬▬☻▬▐«╬♫ÄÄÄÄ☺o♂g╟╟U¬π∟ 8q∟∟♫cÄ⌐îyⁿφ╣3₧g/♀;═öÅ·▒öù↓y§qÅ─ÉY■MⁿêK»+¼öÑ∩↑¡¶Yf┬Bìêf▲æ)├òS╠╚¿]~►é╠♠○◘•♦-♣☺2♥óÜ→okstopitnowyoucrazysobandgettoworkÆmä¡¢∞αö⌂≤σ╜Ü°ε¼╡╝Σ╥ò│/KCQ♪╡╫î
  • hydronicsmike
    hydronicsmike Member Posts: 855
    No, It's called...

...an ANSI code.

http://www.kostis.net/charsets/cp1252.htm

here they are. All you have to do is hold the 'Alt" key and then enter '0' followed by the number in the 'Dec' column. What you get is shown in the "Chr" column.

What you could also use, would be the "Character Map" that your computer comes with.
    To get there, go to START-->PROGRAM FILES (or ALL PROGRAMS)-->ACCESSORIES-->SYSTEM TOOLS-->CHARACTER MAP

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    actually I learned it

from my wife, the medical transcriptionist. coool° I use alt 248 °
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    I like Marks idea but

the sand would make me nervous. Seems like a nice warm, inviting, breeding ground for insects. I'm not sure it would add that much value to the package, and seems like a mess to work over and walk in :0

hot rod

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream

• I Pour Light weight concrete between sleepers
  • Art Pittaway
    Art Pittaway Member Posts: 230
    Suspended will need 165 degrees

My laptop just dings at me when I try? If the tube is 8" OC then you need 6 - 7" +/- sleepers between each tube. If you don't use plates make sure your hose dia. is slightly more than the sleeper thickness. You need to have good contact with the floor. I thought the Wirsbo program had a default for sandwich layouts, check again because it should lower the design temp. Last job I did, over an existing concrete floor, we put 1" extruded polystyrene, 1/2" OSB over everything, then screwed cement board right on top of the sleepers and tube. Then the tile guy did the floor, very solid. Owner said he was very happy with the results.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Wayne, consider

The Watts Radiant 862 system. Sounds like they have exactly what you are tryig to build! They have the package that will accept 3/8 or 1/2" pex.

hot rod

http://www.wattsradiant.com/subray.html

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wayco Wayne
    Ya gotta love Heatway/Watts

I like the idea of the aluminum conduction cover that goes over the tubing and sleepers to help spread the heat. You could use 30 ga. sheet metal the same way.

• Michael_7
    Michael_7 Member Posts: 1
    Raupanel

Check out Rehau-na.com and look at the Raupanel. you should not subject your finish flooring to 165 degree water temperature under any circumstance.
This discussion has been closed.