Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflow with black pipe

Options
I'm looking for someone to shed some light on a dispute for me. We are in the process of installing a heating system for a new truck wash. The design calls for a single 2" monoflow system feeding approximately 10 hot water unit heaters. I would like to run the piping in copper but my boss wants to run it in black pipe using standard black fittings. How do you do this when there isn't a venturi fitting made for black pipe? He wants to reduce the size of the run on the tee to create flow through the branch. For example, to feed a unit heater with 1" pipe, he wants to use a 2 x 1-1/2" x 1" tee. I don't think it will work, but I may be wrong. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks
Kevin

Comments

• Tom_10
    Tom_10 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    standard tees

would work, I believe, provided the two standard tees were far enough apart. The greater the press. difference between them, the greater the flow through the unit. No pressure difference= no flow.I think your boss is on the right track when reducing pipe size along the run. He's right in the sense the it would create a pressure difference needed to create flow to each unit. However over the course of 10 units it may cause some sort of flow problem especially toward the end of the run. I wouldn't discount your bosses theory. Hopefully, for your sake, someone here may be able to be more specific with regard to design.(pipe size, #of units,BTU's/unit ect...)
  • Paul Mitchell
    Paul Mitchell Member Posts: 266
    Options
    good question

I don't think it will work. I would probably pipe it in a reverse loop. Making the first supply the last return. This way there will be no worry, it will work. Who wants to pipe it in black to find out it won't work. Thats just my take on it, maybe some of the other guys will have a better idea. Fill us in on the outcome I am curious.
    Good Luck

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John@Reliable_2
    John@Reliable_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Kevin, monoflo fittings in cast are still

available. Check with a "good" supply house,if not stocked they should be able to get.I'm in ma and my supply house stocks up to 11/4"x up to 1", but told me they should be able to get 2". These guys will do the work and make the calls if you know what I mean. John@Reliable
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i believe it would work

i recall seeing illustrations of systems done this way. could even put a balancing valve between the two tee's for fine tuning...matter of fact, the more i think about it, the more i think it has to work...there is a pressure differential..
This discussion has been closed.