Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thaw Pak tube

Paul_6
Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
Does anybody have any experiance with this brand? so far all I have been given to work with are compression type manifolds and repair couplings. I would really prefer crimp rings or compression set ups with ferrules and inner sleeves. Ive been to their web site and they don't actually list any construction materials that are available. any opinion on this would be appreciated, thanks Paul

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    As I recall

The Thaw Pack system used polybutylene tube. I also recall Vanguard was the manufacture. Sioux Chief still has some crimp PB stuff in their catalog. Pex crimp rings will work, but the inset fittings are a bit different OD from pex to PB.

Pex crimp rings are colored black, PB are generally copper. What exactly do you need? I keep a stash of PB fittings for repairs.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul_6
    this stuff is EPEXB

with an SDR 9 wall and a 1/2" CTS OD. I suspect it is being made by Watts Radiant and I was wondering if anyone had actually tried Watts' Crimp rings and fittings with it.
  • John T_2
    John T_2 Member Posts: 54
    Vanguard

I believe Hot Rod is correct about Vanguard, but I believe Thawpak phased out the PB some time ago. Aluminum manifolds? Red or White tube? Vanguard Pex B should fit most Dahl or other type 1/2" fittings. I haven't tried crimp but would suspect they are available.

John Taylor

Custom Climate Systems, Inc.
    Whitmore Lake, Michigan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The number to look for

Is the ASTM numbers. On tube I believe it's ASTM 876 and 877. Same with fittings. It's my understanding any tube or fitting with these listing numbers should be compatiable, regardless 9of brand.

ASTM, as I understand it, is a listing the watches tolerences of the tube and fitting. AA of the reputable tube and fitting manufactures will have these listings stamped and printed on their tube/ fittings.

I'd watch out for the cheap-O or import stuff it my vary in tolerence from piece to piece.

Without it YOU assume the risk of non compatiable tube and fittings.

I think all 1/2" pex is OD ed like 1/2" copper plumbing tube. The PAP tubes seem to be a tad larger OD than regular pex, however.

The Thaw-Pak (a Raypak copyright) I recall was a carwash, mainly package sold thru Huron Valley Sales & Raypak somehow, I think. Usually a Raypak copper boiler with a bypass mixing device, pump, and PB tube. They may have switched to PEX, however. Possibly still a Vanguard manufactured tube.

Then again there could be others using the Thaw Pack name??

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • James
    James Member Posts: 3
    Thaw-pak

Thaw-pak is owned by Performance Engineering Group in Livonia, Michigan. 734-266-5300

Yes, they have always used Vanguard Tubing. Polybutylene was used until Vanguard stopped producing PB (gray in color). Vanguard private labels all tubing products now in use.

Raypak sold the rights of the Thaw-pak trade mark to PEG.
    Huron Valley Sales now markets under the Pro-Pak logo.
  • Paul_6
    Thanks for the

additional response. your post contains some very useful info.This is a performance eng. project. I have their dwgs., and they supply the material through my local distributor. The pex is red ( o2 barrier) as opposed to the white, and I'm sure I will get the aluminum manifolds again on this project. the pex is marked thaw pak oxygen barrier tube 100 psi @180° astm f-876/877, so in theory I could use wirsbo propex to connect. Or maybe somthing with crimp rings. MY gripe here is that I haven't been able to get a repair fitting from the local rep that I'm comfortable with. The fittings I've been given in the past are simply a compression union with nuts and ferrules, and no inner brass sleeve to make the pex hold it's shape. These have a tendancy to leak over time and when they do start to leak tightening the nut only distorts the pex more.When I make a repair to pex I want it to last as long as the pex. If any one else has an opinion on suitable alternate means of connection i would love to hear it. Thanks much for the technical lesson Hot Rod. Paul.
This discussion has been closed.