Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help finding a flow-control valve, please

tim smith_2
tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
One item that you might want to add while your at it. Install a 1" + y strainer before the feed valve and just reduce down on either side of y strainer. Depending on water quality, this will help increase longevity of your feed valve. Just make sure you clean y strainer 1 time a year at least. Just a extra cheap pre caution

Comments

• Jim Coday
    Jim Coday Member Posts: 7
    Need help buying new flow-control valve...

This system was reworked about 8 yrs ago. The installer has passed on. Located in SE Kansas. None of the contractors want to mess with steam heat. All I need help with is locating a suitable replacement valve. This unit receives 110v signal from water level control system. You probably correctly recognize the red button as a manual feed option. The control unit is fed water via 1/2" pipe. Its problem is I can't get water to flow through the valving when called for by sensor nor by using the manual. The solenoid works, the manual works, but no water will go through. I currently have the signal routed to a lamp and loud radio but don't want to leave my family with this mess while I take care of my mom in California.
    I took it apart but couldn't see how it might be plugged or how to clean it. I welcome that information from any of you pros, as well as being advised which valve I can purchase as a suitable replacement. One fellow has looked through his books but there are no sources of supply. Believe me, your help will be very much appreciated.
  • Have you pulled the strainer from the bottom of it?

Four screws and it's out of there for cleaning.

Noel
  • Jim Coday

Yes, I pulled the screw and cleaned. It's really rather simple but don't know why I still fail to get water through. Obviously I'm missing something somewhere. Can these things take air pressure??? Like to blow through it?
  • Einsiedler
    Einsiedler Member Posts: 61
    not plugged pipe

will water flow through pipe with valve off? (pipe may be plugged & valve may be ok)

EIN
  • Jim Coday

Yes, the pipes are clear. Just pulled them and made certain. I'm going to post 2 more pics, please look at them and my posting to see if it makes sense.... Thanks
  • Jim Coday
    Two more pictures of guts....

In these pictures you can see the solenoid plunger, metal guide, and the rubber stopper. Also you can see the inside of the valving where the rubber and plunger make their home. By the way, I just shot power to the solenoid and it works strongly.

Now, looking at these parts, mainly the plunger and rubber, I began wondering what causes the rubber to rise when the plunger releases its pressure against the rubber. It must be the water pressure right?

Could it be plugged down inside, in those little water channels? I'm guessing the water flows under the rubber when it rises and into those 4 channel looking places to get to the outlet side? I just tried pouring water into those channels but couldn't get it to come out the other side... Assuming it is plugged in there, can it be soaked in a solution of "maybe" muriatic acid or something to breakdown the scale or whatever??? Anybody want me to ship this to you and let you fix it, or even replace it????
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Jim, what you have is a...

McDonnell & Miller No. 101A Water feeder. Unfortunatly, you have an older style of which the parts are no longer available. However there is a newer version available, Still No. 101A -24 for 24 volt supply or -120 for 120 volt supply. To view the installation instructions for this go to http://www.mcdonnellmiller.com/pdf/install_instr/MM-307D.pdf Also, if you go to http://www.mcdonnellmiller.com/pdf/M&M/Product/101-a.pdf you can view a parts breakdown, and I would recomend getting 1 of item #1 and a couple of Item #2 for future maintenance of the feeder.

Now that you know what you have and what you need, you can have a supplier order it for you, or if that still won't work, go to http://www.mcdonnellmiller.com/ and click on "Find Your Rep" and enter your zip code to find your nearest McDonnell & Miller Represenative to get you the parts you need.

Hope this gets you up and running.

Glenn Harrison
  • Jim Coday

Thanks Glenn. Super, I'll follow your directions and post the results when I am done.

One more thing, please. Would you mind telling me what you think has happened to my valve???

You all are to be commended for what you do for those of us lucky enough to have computers and finally to find such sites as have been made available by people like Dan Holohan. Thank you all for your suggestions which helped me along to this point!!!
  • Glenn Harrison
    Glenn Harrison Member Posts: 405
    Your quite welcome, Jim

It's my pleasure to be able to give a little assistance when possible, sort of a repayment for all the help and knowledge I have received here from Dan and the other wallies.

Now as for your old valve, and before I say this I want to clarify that I am not real familiar with the older style valve, most likely the valve mechanism that opens and closes the water flow has plugged of corroded shut. I believe the only fix to this on the older valves was to replace the entire lower assembly that the pipes connect to. If you look at those instruction links I posted, you will see that the new valve uses a removable cartridge which can easily be cleaned and or replaced at a minimal cost, making your life a lot simpler in the future. Also, if it helps any, M&M recomends replacemnt of their Low Water Cut Off's and Water Feeder's when they are 10 years old, so you most likely are right at the point that you should be replacing this valve anyway.

http://www.mcdonnellmiller.com/pdf/M&M/Product/Maint.pdf M&M Maintenance and Replacement Guidelines Link
  • Jim Coday
    Thanks again....

Glenn, I'm comfortable with your diagnosis (if only doctors could be so accurate..:)) ). And you are right-on with the timing for replacement. So, no, I don't feel bad at all. Like I mentioned, I will let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again, Glenn.

Jim Coday
  • tim smith_2
    tim smith_2 Member Posts: 184
    mm 101 A

One item that you might want to add while your at it. Install a 1" + y strainer before the feed valve and just reduce down on either side of y strainer. Depending on water quality, this will help increase longevity of your feed valve. Just make sure you clean y strainer 1 time a year at least. Just a extra cheap pre caution. one other note, The valve portion of that might be available, would have to check. Although i would probably just get a complete one any way.
  • Jim Coday
    Good advice on y-strainer

Consider it done. My local guy is checking right now about ordering the complete feed control. Thanks for your help and advice, Tim. I'm smiling thanks to all you great pros out there.
This discussion has been closed.