Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ultra-Fin Radiant Heat

Bob T.
Bob T. Member Posts: 3
Has anyone used the Ultra-Fin system?? The manufacture clams up to 41 BTU/SF of heating. The Pex tubing runs perpendicular to the joist and are placed 3" from the sub floor. To heat the air space, fins are placed on the Pex tubing that is spaced 24" to 30" apart. The water temp is set at 160 to 180. Any Thoughts???

Comments

• Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Interesting system

Now that REALLY looks like the broiler in a gas oven.

It's definitely utilizing radiation. Didn't research their insulation recommendations but would suspect that rigid with a reflective layer would be best.

Looks like it would be easiest if planned EARLY in the construction--i.e. "gang" drilling of the joists BEFORE installation but AFTER final cutting. I'd even spray the joist cavity flat black.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Close-up

Interesting concept.

Louvers (for lack of a better term) in enhance convection and greatly increased surface area to enhance radiation.

They don't mention too much about control--save it's best to zone every room individually.

Looks like it was designed specifically to work with high temp & digital control. No mention though of the effect of "micro-zoning" if every room is its own zone.

Seems to be touted as "this is sooo simple--just jump in and do it. We supply everything but the boiler"

Quite surprised they didn't mention drilling the joists before installation.
  • tombig
    tombig Member Posts: 291
    Ultra fin

I've used them in floor warming applications. Someone posted about a week back. Said they had to add baseboards in some areas. High circ temps makes Pex-Al-Pex the tube choice to prevent sagging. As far as I know it comes in 1/2" only. Six rivets per fin but it goes pretty quick. I installed in open web trusses (read-no drilling) for a floor warming only application. I'm a little leary for primary heat source. I think insulating floor coverings might affect this system more than conductive plates but it's a step up from plateless staple up. Joist bay end insulation would be key. Tough to run any ducts in those joist spaces for AC.

Tombig

• Tim Doran
    Tim Doran Member Posts: 208
    Figures don't add up

Output = 2 btu per sqft per degree of differential between the room set point and the surface temperature. The literature that I have for this product has some pretty strange figures IMHO.

Tim D
  • George Peteya
    George Peteya Member Posts: 34
    41 btuh/sf ...

... means the floor surface is 90.5 deg.F (OK, guilty, I'm an engineer) when the room is 70, assuming 2 Btuh/sf/deg.F. off the floor. Hope no one is designing systems that way.

What will your GC think when you tell him you're running 160 to 180 under his subfloors for long periods of time?

What will the architect think when she sees all those holes in the joists?

Sorry, I have more questions than answers ...
  • Don Robertson
    Don Robertson Member Posts: 43
    I think it's a good idea but...

It worries me that if you design the system @ 180 deg water and there is some kind of construction or floor covering change, you won't be able to raise the water temp.(Not as much room for error) I would think for floor warming it would be great.
This discussion has been closed.