Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hats off to Area 51hvac

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
what's your next move :) Open sky alien friends!

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Groom Lake lives

Here is the link:
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    What's wrong with that picture

is that Steve, Tom and Dave spent three years building a brand identity with Groom Lake and Area51hvac.com. When they decided to leave it they offered the name and the logo for sale for $5,000. No takers so far, but Bud is using the Groom Lake name without their approval and I think that stinks.

I won't be a part of this, John. Sorry.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Hey Dan

Did you write this before I got your e-mail or after...Must of been before you got my reply...The site wasn't up for sale when they dropped out of site, the words of Dave was by the time you get this we will be off to never never land.
    While everyone sat with out a clue as to what they were doing for sometime. Like I said in the letter...havn't seen you offering help.

Auctually here is the letter in full...

Dan

The "groom lake" identity is not for my site or new site. I don't need the identity. Groom lake is where a bunch of people gathered to discuss whatever. I simply gave a place for all to keep up the conversation. As you can see yourself, I've kept message boards off my site for the past couple of years. This wasn't done with out thought. I stepped on no ones toes. The lake dwellers have waited and for sometime with no response as to what happened. They owe no one anything...but the way they just pulled everything off the site was that not disrespectful to all those who gave their site breath. A note to them this morning was clearly put, if they want to hop in the drivers seat again, it's all theirs.

This isn't about me...I thought I'd help out. It was them that had no regards to their friends and visitors.

Let me tell you a story Dan,

I have offered free webdesign / java script / tutorials in both mechanical, electrical and piping arrangments. I have offered this free of charge more than once. I have stayed clear of message boards and if i did go to them I was silient (after my bout with the boss) I surf your site often and keep my mouth shut, period! I don't get into pricing stucture arguments. It's not my thing. I don't plaster my stuff on your website...I tried different things and abandon them. You have no idea who I am or what I about. You as an author of books (some of the best in the world) did you capitalize on anyone else work...I have givin more to the sheet metal industry then anyone has ever given. You don't come to my website and hit store or paypal to view anything. you don't create membership names for a fee. I don't charge for contractor listings. It's not what my site is about.

I help even my closet competetors...I answer e-mails daily, I have tech schools who use my tutorials. At the moment we are working on video / OHP material / spanish instruction for those who don't have the money to pay at these round tables. For the ones who can't afford to leave at night to attend class because they have children and mom and dad work split shifts.

You have no idea what I'm about / who I am.
    I'm going to do what the people want me to do...you see Dan, when you don't have your hand out for the coin, it becomes simple.

They could have email me and ask if I leave it alone...Not one word.
    Don't talk about what it takes to build a site and identity / not to me!

I have a lot of respect for you Dan...I'd like to keep it that way.

Have you responded to thier asking of 5K...I have and I seen only two months of stats...Nothing else exist. You don't buy a book, by looking at the cover..do you? If they would have had any signifigent amount of traffic I would have gave it serious considerstion. My consultants said no. Did you offer help? I see you haven't dipped your toes in the lake for some time.

Have a great New Year.

Bud

----- Original Message -----
    To: Bud@thesheetmetalshop.com
    Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 1:23 PM
    Subject: For what it's worth

Bud, it took Dave, Tom and Steve years to build the identity of Area51hvac.com. They worked hard, sacrificed and put up with a lot of nonsense along the way. When they decided to leave the site they put a $5,000 price on its identity and logo. There have been no takers as yet, but I see that the name and logo are still for sale. I think that you're out of line in using the Groom Lake identity for your new site. I think it's disrespectful. If you have their permission, that's another story, of course, and if this is the case then I apologize for bringing this up. I'm on the outside looking in, and it doesn't look fair to me right now.

Dan Holohan
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Here you go, Bud

http://www.area51hvac.com. The price is $5,000

They spent three years building an identity and now they offer it for sale. These are my friends and I'm sticking up for them. I think they'd stick up for themselves but I hear they're disgusted.

I think you should choose another name for your new venture.

That shouldn't be a problem, should it?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Bud_14
    Bud_14 Member Posts: 200
    Options
    New name \"The Pier\"

It is the best I can do for now...cool
    And I'm not going at it...already done...most of it.

Bud
  • DanHolohan
    Options

> It is the best I can do for now...cool And I'm

> not going at it...already done...most of

> it.

>

> Bud

Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    That's fair.

Thank you, Bud.

Let's move on.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    Options
    Gonna miss those guys...

I guess they had their run with free speech and gave up the ghost. I hope they come back with something else. They were there when they were needed. Thanks for all you guys have done to further the industry.

ME

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    Options
    Free speech

ran into a brick wall once again. Funny how some who espouse their rights to free speech think nothing of trashing other's rights to freedom from persecution. The pen IS mightier than the sword. Too many were run through with verbal thrusts. It was a great run though & I'm going to miss visiting. I'll cherish my alien gear & it will live on in our collective memories.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
This discussion has been closed.