Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help with sound problem

Steven
Steven Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I have a three zone, hot water baseboard radiant heating system in my house that has performed great. Recently, however, I had to replace the Bell&Gossett 100 series pump.

1. After installing the pump, I opened the cold water valve and completely flushed each zone using "new" water (with the pump and boiler turned off).

2. I then cycled through each zone with the pump and boiler turned on. All zones worked and I got heat!

3. Now each zone makes a running water sound -- there's no hammer or banging, more like a babbling brook. Before the pump replacement, there was no pipe noise.

4. I tried to remove air at each bleed-off valve on the registers, but it didn't seem like much air came out and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The noise isn't "terrible" but I'd like to get it back to slient. I have a single air-scrubber valve on the system, will this eventually remove the excess air? Is it air that's most likely making the sound? If so, how long should it take to expel?

I would appreciate any advice/comments.

Steven (Colorado)

Comments

• Steven
    Need help with sound problem

Hello,

I have a three zone, hot water baseboard radiant heating system in my house that has performed great. Recently, however, I had to replace the Bell&Gossett 100 series pump.

1. After installing the pump, I opened the cold water inlet valve and completely flushed each zone using "new" water (with the pump and boiler turned off).

2. I then cycled through each zone with the pump and boiler turned on. All zones worked and I got heat!

3. Now each zone makes a running water sound -- there's no hammer or banging, more like a babbling brook. Before the pump replacement, there was no pipe noise.

4. I tried to remove air at each bleed-off valve on the registers, but it didn't seem like much air came out and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The noise isn't "terrible" but I'd like to get it back to slient. I have a single air-scrubber valve on the system, will this eventually remove the excess air? Is it air that's most likely making the sound? If so, how long should it take to expel?

I would appreciate any advice/comments.

Steven (Colorado)
  • John@Reliable
    John@Reliable Member Posts: 379
    The babbling brook

noise you are hearing is air indeed. You need to purge the system some more. Can take 1/2 hour or more per zone. Use a hose and put end in a 5 gal. bucket(this will let you see air )PS. might have to do this more than once Hope this helps John@Reliable
  • Steven
    Thanks, John

John,

Thanks for the reply. That's sort of what I figured.

Steven.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Air

I had the same problem with my house. I really worked at purging this system. I really woorked at it. Finally I put a Spiro-vent on the system and that was the end of the babbling brook. I had heard they were good but was stunned and amazed at the difference.
This discussion has been closed.