Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sneak peek at new steam/vapor system

Mad Dog
Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
almost all piped...don't worry.....the band Iron's only temporary........here's a few shots mad dog

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=210&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    vapor system

great job mad dog did you use any rads from that guy in somerville ma.?

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • GREAT PICS MD

What valves did you end up with??and how are them rads makin out/?? Remember we had to detour alot of traffic to get them bad boyz outta town !!!

Murph' (SOS)
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Well to start with

that vent damper is currently not up to code. you need more pitch on it.

And who is the sicko that left the training bra hanging from one of the valves?

Other than that it looks great!!

Nice job so far Matt!!!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mad Dog
    Yeah Mark.......I wanted plenty of Venting capacity

to keep co low....hee hee...Murph: I went with Hoffman right angle radiator shut off valves...well built...chunky...The rep INSISTED they were made in America...don't see no markin's on 'em, but I'll have to trust the guy...gettin real difficult to find USA stuff, but I always look real hard. The king valves are Milwaukee...definitely made in USA..the price tells me that...All J.P. Ward on the fittings with a few Old Nationals and Grinnell that I've been hording for several years. Yes Murph 3 of the baby bundy's are being used.....A1 definitely has some choice rads, but you'd better bring a LOAD of CASH$$$$$$$ or a hefty checkbook...AND!!!! They don't take Visa OR any other credit card. After seeing what they get for their rads, I'mm definitely going to start doing a little side business restoering rads. The project is going surprisingly fast...even though mopst work is done by myself....Mad Dog

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Nice work

Why the eccentric coupling instead of a reducing 90 ?

Also where are you living during all this ? My wife was not happy when it took me three years to do the second bathroom :).

Nice work Maddog, I think we'll need to get this system some press when its done. What da ya think John ?

Scott

• Mad Dog
    The eccentric coupling

...because this America!!!!!!!right Dan? As I said, I've been hording certain fittings over the last few years for a special project like this. Those eccentric couplings are all but extinct. I had a job a few years back where I needed one. I was told you could nt get ;em any more...I kept calling and looking. Found that Webster plumbing supply in Da' Bronx had five left, and that was it...Foreever!!!!!!! Only needed one, but I took all 5 anyway........tahnkls to all for positive comments...Mad Dog

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    now

I know why my supplier told me that 2 and 3 inch fittings are on back order..they are all down on the Isle! Thanks a lot Angry Mongrel! Looks great and this'll keep you out of trouble...

• jerrygb46
    jerrygb46 Member Posts: 11
    22% ell

Is that a 22 deg galvinize ell on the drip leg ?
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Do you weld?

Looking at that 3 inch pipe I wonder if welding and weld fittings wouldn't be faster and less bull work. The new 120 volt welders handle 1/8 5P all day long off a 20 amp circuit plug, The 120 volt mig guns work also with less smoke.
  • Mad Dog
    Can weld...have welded....did a lot in Apprentice school, but

I like the amount of swing that you can only get with screw fittings when expansion and contraction occur...also, welding would definitely take longer...this header went together in about 3 hours. And oh yeah....Mad Dog loves the bull work...its when separates the Real men from the radiant boys (just kidding chaps I love radiant too)!!!!What ya think of that HEATMAN!!!!!!!!!! That's my trusty steam apprentice Brian whom we call "lurch" Mad Dog

• Mad Dog
    Yes Gerry that's what she is

worked out perfectly. You see, This vapor system is on a budget, so I am trying to use up alot of the materials I've had stored in my barn for years. Most of the gate valves don't match, some fittings are rusty et cetera, some of the clevis hangars are different style. I would never do this in a customers home - they are paying for brand-new stuff and that's what they get, but this, is on a shoestring budget, and it's kinda fun using up alot of this old/new and actually-used stuff. That 22 1/2 was actually a used drainage fitting that I cleaned out well, We all know galvanized is not recommended on a steam system, but a few fittings or nipples here or there won't hurt anything. This really is a rip. I'm installing this system with all the problem steam jobs that I've run into over the years - in imnd EG: The one section that I did have to put a wet return is all accessible, above ground, pitched towarsd the boiler and I made the turns with 2 45s instead of a 90, so I can snake out the gunk once a year. Also, I put gate valve and a flush station at all drops ionto the wet return so I can pressurize the returns with street pressure to really flush things out. Mad Dog ok back to work..

• ScottMP
    MD 22

> worked out perfectly. You see, This vapor system

> is on a budget, so I am trying to use up alot of

> the materials I've had stored in my barn for

> years. Most of the gate valves don't match, some

> fittings are rusty et cetera, some of the clevis

> hangars are different style. I would never do

> this in a customers home - they are paying for

> brand-new stuff and that's what they get, but

> this, is on a shoestring budget, and it's kinda

> fun using up alot of this old/new and

> actually-used stuff. That 22 1/2 was actually a

> used drainage fitting that I cleaned out well,

> We all know galvanized is not recommended on a

> steam system, but a few fittings or nipples here

> or there won't hurt anything. This really is a

> rip. I'm installing this system with all the

> problem steam jobs that I've run into over the

> years - in imnd EG: The one section that I did

> have to put a wet return is all accessible, above

> ground, pitched towarsd the boiler and I made the

> turns with 2 45s instead of a 90, so I can snake

> out the gunk once a year. Also, I put gate valve

> and a flush station at all drops ionto the wet

> return so I can pressurize the returns with

> street pressure to really flush things out.

> Mad Dog ok back to work..

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 210&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• ScottMP
    MD 22

Whats the smaller Burnham in the background for ??

Also having never done one, is a drop header allways that pitched ?

Nice photo's

Scott

• jerrygb46
    jerrygb46 Member Posts: 11

Love the flush outs on the returns.Keep the pictures comming,Enjoy it greatly.Nice job Mad Dog.
  • David Sutton_2
    David Sutton_2 Member Posts: 63
    Nothing like the feeling......

of installing a steam boiler , doing all that grunt work , finishing the job then pull up a chair and look at it. its gives me a warm fuzzy to see the end results . You did a great jod Maddog keep up the good work . David
  • Mad Dog
    The radical drop header

That's my touch, Scott, I find that the radical pitch produces super-dry steam...the condensate and steam have no choice but to go their separate ways. When installing steam I don't care if something looks a little kooky......the dry steam takes precedence.....The smaller boiler is for radiant in the bathrooms and basement Mad Dog

• Mad Dog
    Got two piped in so far...and here is the loop seal

for the oversized Bundy. Got all my permanent hangars on too!!! Mad Dog

• Matt it looks great I love

those radiators. When you get some time you should take the pictures and explain what each one is about and what you are doing. Some guys have never seen stuff like this being done it would be real educational. Hey maybe we could hold the next east coast gathering in your barn. That would take the load off Scott, it cost him a fortune at the last one. Of course he has a bad habit of hiding money under the table.
This discussion has been closed.