Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil fired boiler question

I am looking at a job where the homeowner is putting on a rather large addition. He is planning to change the heating system from steam to hot water baseboard with radiant in the kitchen and bathrooms. He has an oil fired boiler now and wants to stay with oil. (Gas is in the house). He also wants to knock down the chimney and go with a power vent boiler. I have never heard of a power vent on oil. I told him I would look into this, but I have had no luck so far. Does anyone know if they make power vent oil fired boilers, and if so, who makes them and where I could get info about them? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• HBW
    HBW Member Posts: 33
  • Jim Davis
    Jim Davis Member Posts: 305

I think there are, but from the sounds of the design, might be well to avoid. Use any oil boiler and sidewall vent with Field Controls PVO venter with adjustable post purge.
    www.fieldcontrols.com
  • Warmfoot
    Warmfoot Member Posts: 127
    Look at

The Buderus side vent option...no power vent and extremely quiet!!

Ernie Bogue
    Master Hydronics LLC
    PO Box 779
    Keyport, WA 98345
    (360) 394-2049

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    power venters

both tjernlen and field controls make units that work with oil be carefull where you install them must be 4 feet from any window or door and 7 feet above any public walkway i
    replaced a furnace that was power vented and the gases made a patio useless in the summertime every time the oil fired waterheater came on it was like sucking on the exaust from a truck or bus good luck
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    considered?

lining the chimney instead of demoing it?Many are using power vent and or direct vent.........but I hands down prefer atmospheric over the others.

cheese
  • robert griggs
    robert griggs Member Posts: 65
    I do too

I prefer atmospheric vents too, but the architect told me that "any time we design a building now in the 21st century, we avoid putting in a chimney when ever possible". The homeowner said that if he had to put in a chimney, he would consider it, but the architect is against it.
  • ed wallace
    venting

I wonder if the architect uses a power vent at his house or just likes to spend other peoples money ?
  • ed wallace
    venting

I wonder if the architect uses a power vent at his house or just likes to spend other peoples money ?
  • Jim_8
    Jim_8 Member Posts: 6
    power venting

The BIGGEST thing is to make sure the person installing it puts in in correctly and the person wiring it does the same. there is a reason why the manufacturer spends all that money testing. I have been installing power venters on oil fired furnaces and boilers since 1987? and have not had any thing but good luck but you have to do your home work and follow, follow the directions. they are nice to kneel one but work better when you open them!
  • todd s
    todd s Member Posts: 212
    Powerventer

I would also recomend the chimney, if you have to powervent look into the new Honeywell flame quality monitor. This looks very simple and can alert you if the flame goes bad and starts smoking.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    Power ventors are fine...

Like has been stated....they have to be installed and wired right!!!!!
    Have installed many and they work very well.
    Have you checked out the direct vent models????
    Burnham makes at least one model and Axeman Anderson makes at least one also.

I don't understand, if it is a larger house, why you wouldn't go with 2 smaller gas fired units,
    reset and staging with a Tekmar control.... I always love not having to jump immediately if one
    of the boilers goes down.....or for that matter how about 2 smaller oil boilers, keep the one he's
    got, add a power ventor and then install a 2nd smaller unit to help it out...

just some thought's

Floyd
  • John Starcher_4
    John Starcher_4 Member Posts: 794
    Flame quality monitor?????

I am not aware of this control. Do you have a part #???

Sounds interesting!

Starch
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    architects

Tell him to draw the pretty pictures and leave the heating design to those that understand it.

That being said oil power vent does work but must be set up properly and maintained.

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • chris smith_2
    chris smith_2 Member Posts: 37
    i agree with ernie

besides buderus, peerless now makes a side vent option as does thermo dynamics in steel if cost is an concern, i think this is a much better option in that there is no power venter to break at 3am on a cold winter morning,

chris smith
    paradise porter maine
  • eric_2
    eric_2 Member Posts: 148
    Trianco Max

I believe that Trianco make a power vent oil boiler called the Maxx series. The phone # for Trianco-Heatmaker IS 781-986-9100. Don't know if they have a web-site but they probably do. Hope this helps.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Flame Quality Momitor

Hi, Starch! The part number is QS7100F1001. It works with the new R7184 primary. Its just plugs into the primary, and then mounts anywhere convenient. You set up the oil burner with instruments, and when it's running right, you push the button. The Q7100 then "remembers" what the flame looks like,and if the flame begins to degrade, it will transmit a warning about 72 hours before soot-up would occur. The alarm can be local, like a light or buzzer, or connect to a phone dialer or security system, if you sell maintenance or service contracts. They are available now at oil oriented distributors.
  • robert griggs
    robert griggs Member Posts: 65
    he is

Customer is planning to go with two smaller boilers. Right now he is finishing only the first floor, due to budget constraints. He is framing the second floor and basement and wants to do the rough in for them, but won't be putting sheetrock up for another year or two. At that time he will be putting in a second boiler to handle the additional load.
This discussion has been closed.