Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tech Lingo

J.C.A.
J.C.A. Member Posts: 349
Ever hung a thermostat ? (this is for you Floyd) how about "laid a radiant floor" ? Pump away , drop a header or replace a dip tube. Don't even get me started on Re-circulation !Sorry ladies ... but how about ball valves? I bet there are some mothers out there who wish they could install these . The list is endless . Matt , if you get anything less than a "A" on this you haven't been in the field enough. Best of luck! Chris.

Comments

• Matt_3
    Matt_3 Member Posts: 2
    I need a little help

I'm one of the past scholarship winners and now I am looking for some help from all the techs out there again. I'm looking to write about the lingo that we talk about here on the wall but it would be something that the average home owner probably would not recognize. I realize that this is a good location to ask you all about it and i am sure i can get some good feedback from you all.

Thanks
    Matt
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    not sure

what you need, Matt. Can you explain a bit more?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Matt_3
    Matt_3 Member Posts: 2
    well

What I need are some words that all of us in the industry would use when we talk to each other. Words for tools, parts, types of customers, things of that nature. The topic is on idolects, personal languages that you would only use with selected collegues. When handed with this topic, the first thing that poped in my mind was hydronic heat and the things discussed on the wall. I believe that things discussed here would not always be understood by the average person. This is the language we speak to each other but we talk to our customers in a different way.
    Thanks
  • here's a couple

dead men
    wet-head

Mark
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    techno lingo

How bout scortched air heat.....
    and a side car water heater
    or a boiler mate.
    tankless what?
    ice melt
    indirect hot water heater.
    how did it go the other day on that staple up job?
    someone once asked me for a gas line wrench (flare wrench)
    Ever here of a bag dragger? (A tie guy office worker that carries a brief case to work with absolutely no knowledge of things mechanical.)
    lets keep going, help my kid thru this school stuff so I can get some ROI
    Jim / MRHEAT / Matt's dad :)
  • Paul_6
    Paul_6 Member Posts: 88
    try asking for a heel ell

the next time your at the supply counter, or a heating wye. if i sent you out to my truck for my stilsons would they go on my feet? could you rummage around under my front seat and find my yarning tools or my caulking irons? why do we call them split rings if they aren't broken? when was the last time f&m actually made plates? is a rosett a flower or a really big tip for your torch. does a torch heat things up or have batteries and a bulb? (depends on which side of th pond you are on). are they hanger bolts or coach screws,or lag rods? here's one of my favorites "hammer screws" and of course it's cousin "screw nails" how heavy are heavy nuts? we buy copper by asking for type m, l, or k sched 40 t&c . seamless cast iron maleable wrot copper spiral duct I'll think about this some more tomorrow at work hope this helps Paul.
  • Floyd
    Floyd Member Posts: 429
    how bout....

HEAD PRESSURE.... sure seems like you could have fun with that one!!!! (G)
    then there's primary loops, secondary loops,boiler loops,heat xchanger loops, primary systems,bypassloops, mixing loops, variable speed pump loops, snow melt loops, secondary systems, tritary systems, and systems there's no name for..... well maybe but not for print here!!!!!
    oh yeah, does gas pressure have anything to do with that feeling you have just before you toot???
    and what is a inch water colunm??? Once had a relative with a name similar to millivolt!!
    and is a mfd a microfarad??? gpm.....duh I know gals per mile???? kinda like on the strip in LA!!!!!
    btu's oh maybe the letters just got mixed up!!!! edr.... every darn what!!!???? cfm's.. country farm maidens????
    psi, those letters have got to be wrong for sure,... pounds of steam???? Why you can't wiegh steam, it's lighter than air!!!!!! And to think that you can measure a boiler in horsepower.....you can't put a horse in one of those!!!!
    How about the draft that ain't in your beer glass, and the reverse return that equalizes pressure.
    Yeah, and then there's variable speed injection pumping!!!!!!! Boy THAT could be fun!!!!!
    Don't forget the rad's!!!!! steam rad's, panel rad's, towel rad's, ceiling rad's, floor rad's, wall rad's,hot water rad's, one pipe rad's, two pipe rad's,baseboard rad's, toe kick rad's (ouch!!!), and the commercial high outout rad!!!!!!
    How bout the pex family???? hepex, aquapex, pex a, pex b, pex c, pex-al-pex, some has that 02 covering, some not.....
    By the way???? If I get the Flue.....will I go up the chimney???? Maybe not if the draft control is set right..... and I stay clear of the stack pipe.......or is that the breaching???? or the vent hood?????

It's getting late and I'm probably getting a bit silly here now, so before I get indirect fired, I better get to bed!!!!

Floyd
  • Jim_47
    after my nights sleep

Now how 'bout a little sarcasim..........

Customers would rarely undestand things like:
    PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE
    ANNUAL SERVICE
    MONTHLY PAYMENTS
  • John T_2
    John T_2 Member Posts: 54
    My favorite

> I'm one of the past scholarship winners and now I

> am looking for some help from all the techs out

> there again. I'm looking to write about the

> lingo that we talk about here on the wall but it

> would be something that the average home owner

> probably would not recognize. I realize that

> this is a good location to ask you all about it

> and i am sure i can get some good feedback from

> you all.

>

> Thanks Matt

• pfitter_2
    pfitter_2 Member Posts: 4
    How about....

Pet cock, ball cock, pig tail, dope.

Lick dob, duck butter (same stuff), lead wool.

Black joe, a goes-inta, male and female parts.

Plum-a-do, ruladiller, levado. hand hammer.

lead beater,

suppers ready..... more later?

p

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Brass nipples

especialy close brass nipples. Soroity talk like, delta t and delta p.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • John T_2
    John T_2 Member Posts: 54
    My favorite

Once had a new helper I was training. Handed him a pipe wrench and asked him to "break" (to unscrew the nut portion of the union and seperate the two halves) the union on a gas line to the furnace we were removing. He proceeded to pound on the union with the pipe wrench trying of course, to break it. Guess some explanation was needed on my part, but to this day it still makes me grin.

John Taylor

P.S Below is a link to Honeywell that has a limited amount of in-floor heating terms defined.

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Technical/Underfloor/glossary.pdf
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    How about

the way the guys out West call Armaflex "Double D"? When I asked what that stood for the contractor said, "Donkey ****." Quite appropriate!
    Retired and loving it.
  • heatman101
    heatman101 Member Posts: 19
    I thought...

that was the thing that I you put on the end of a garden hose, you stick it into the plugged drain and turned the water on.... it then swells up to seal off the pipe and staarts to vibrate and make a god awful noise, while pulsing away tring to unplug the drain!!!!
    Now THAT'S appropriate!!!!!!! LOL
  • Jim_47
    Techno lingo

Oh yea matt.......
    Call your mother, she misses ya.
    dad
  • jeff_25
    jeff_25 Member Posts: 110
    lingo

hand shoes(gloves)bfh, remember the bigger the hammer the finer the adjustment cannel hammer (cannelocks) PRV how about were's the tape hickey
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    TMI, TMI, TMI.........

acronym for "Too much information" All of the above contains TMI. bigugh
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    How bout.............

passn' me the lead pot with my ladel........and dont forget to install that frost free sillcock!

cheese
  • Art Pittaway_2
    Art Pittaway_2 Member Posts: 80
    What's your deffinition

of a "High maintenance customer". "Deadbeat's" and "shoppers" apply to other industries. I tried to explain a "clog-buster", the rubber expansion tool on a gardenhose for opening a plugged drain, to my class (co-ed)last week. I thought about it and told them I'd bring one in rather than talk about it. Some of them had a good laugh as I changed the topic.
  • Gary Fereday
    Gary Fereday Member Posts: 427
    Get old

With a "pot piece" and a "4" brass ferral." "60 40 solder" and mutton tallow candles ! How about a "lead turner' and a "drift pin" & a "lead dresser" And what about "wiping cloths" Is the pot piece to hot if you can burn a piece of paper in it? Hummmmmmmmm times do change! bigugh
This discussion has been closed.