Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ground Zero

Dave Yates (PAH)
Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
Stood there today, in awe of the devastation. Remained as unatached as possible while taking in the views. Did fine until visiting the shrine surrounding a nearby church where lots of memories are displayed on its fence. Spying a Boy Scout neckerchief hanging along the top, Troop 47, it hit me like a wave rolling over you. I was at once engulfed in all of the emotions I had tried in vain to supress.

Went to an Irish pub close by & the bar maid remarked that it looked like they were beside the WTC buildings, right? Not so. They had been five blocks away. It's just that those five blocks don't exist anymore.

A sign of the emotional recovery? Vendors hawking their 9/11 wares at every turn. This is America bub & capitolism in full bloom. Crass on one hand, but a great nose thumbing at the terrorists too.

The commaradie of the workers was infectious. They share a tremendous bond in their labors. Some graciously accepted cameras from the general public to snap photos from high vantage points. There was a hushed quiet along the visitor view point walkway & I wondered at the common reverence shared by all in attendence. All races and peoples were represented & all were visibly affected by the view.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=98&Step=30">To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"</A>

Comments

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    never forget

In todays pop culture and fifteen minutes of fame, its very easy to loose focus on what happened. A trip to ground zero for all of us would not be a bad thing. Dave, thanks for bring it a little more to light for those of us who have not seen first hand this attack on our country.

I have a good friend who now lives in Norway with his family. He returned home this summer and took his wife and girls to ground zero so they would understand. He has lived in Norway for 20 years now, but tells me his girls are American. We are a stronge and proud nation

Scott

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mike Kraft
    Mike Kraft Member Posts: 406
    Ground Zero

Dave,

I'm going tomorrow.Today my daughter and her boyfreind worked with me.Hanging some Slant Fin HWBB in a new home.

My little bro is back in Hoboken.After 9/11 his job wasnt.He and his family went to the left coast and returned 2 weeks ago.So the 3 of us are cruising in town and ferrying over to the site.

I havent seen it in person and am nervously anxious.I relate to your feelings.

cheese
  • Dave Yates (PAH)
    Dave Yates (PAH) Member Posts: 2,162
    noise

NYC is such a busy place, that the din often drowns out normal conversations. As we walked to the site, I noticed how quiet the area became. Thousands marching reverantly in silence and those speaking did so in soft tones. A quiet anger builds, which conflicts with other emotions as they compete for mental attention. The comaradie of those working the site is obvious and sights of policeman and firefighters posing with tourists for pictures was a reminder of painfull loses. Lots of somber faces in the hush of the Big Apple.

Take a hankie.

To Learn More About This Contractor, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Contractor"
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909

I am sure that when I see the sky line again, I will not be able to control the flood.

I hope this attachment works, I have saved it to a disc and will show it to my kids someday.

Mark H

• Mad Dog
    Mad Dog Member Posts: 2,595
    Weigh in on what you want to see at G-zero

I would like to see The Towers not only go back where they were, but taller, making them the highest structures in the World again. Furthermore, if I were in charge, I would have state-of-the-art anti-aircraft and ballsitic missle defense stations on top - manned 24/7. Far out?????? not really! Could've at least dropped the second plane into New York Harbor and saved the second tower and several thousand. Also, I would devise emergency escape chutes and parachute stations at the top. At least trapped people would have a viable option to doin' a Swan Dive to the street - and an excellent chance at survival... thoughts....also like the idea of several giant parachutes for every airliner that runs outta gas or malfunctions (except explosions flight 800 or Lockerbie)instead of crashing to earth, they would fall relatively slow to the ground - saving most! After all, we drop 15 ton Tanks and military equipment via parachute! Came up with this many years ago ...everyone laughed at me...saw a show on the discovery channel several years ago that talked about it extensivlty, but the Airlines said it was too expensive and people wouldn't pay...BULL!!!!!!! I'll guarantee you that those poor **** that had to jump and plane crash victims, would give their life savings for these safty measures...I know I would. Just my thoughts.... Mad Dog

• Patrick_2
    Patrick_2 Member Posts: 26
    Mark and Mad Dog

> I would like to see The Towers not only go back

> where they were, but taller, making them the

> highest structures in the World again.

> Furthermore, if I were in charge, I would have

> state-of-the-art anti-aircraft and ballsitic

> missle defense stations on top - manned 24/7.

> Far out?????? not really! Could've at least

> dropped the second plane into New York Harbor and

> saved the second tower and several thousand.

> Also, I would devise emergency escape chutes and

> parachute stations at the top. At least trapped

> people would have a viable option to doin' a Swan

> Dive to the street - and an excellent chance at

> survival... thoughts....also like the idea of

> several giant parachutes for every airliner that

> runs outta gas or malfunctions (except explosions

> flight 800 or Lockerbie)instead of crashing to

> earth, they would fall relatively slow to the

> ground - saving most! After all, we drop 15 ton

> Tanks and military equipment via parachute!

> Came up with this many years ago ...everyone

> laughed at me...saw a show on the discovery

> channel several years ago that talked about it

> extensivlty, but the Airlines said it was too

> expensive and people wouldn't pay...BULL!!!!!!!

> I'll guarantee you that those poor **** that

> had to jump and plane crash victims, would give

> their life savings for these safty measures...I

> know I would. Just my thoughts.... Mad Dog

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 210&Step=30"_To Learn More About This Contractor,

> Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A

> Contractor"_/A_

• Patrick_2
    Mark and Mad Dog

Mark - Thank you f ro sharing that with us, brought tears to my eyes and a chill to my spine. I think every American should review sites, tapes and magazines like that to remember how devastating these acts are. What we went through as a city, state and country. Thank you again.

Mad Dog - I like the way you think!!! I had commented about a building defense system and peole scouffed at me. It would deter such acts again. Never thought about a plane parachute, leave it to you to come up with such a idea.

GOD bless the U.S.A.!!!!!
  • Mad Dog
    Thanks Pat

I've been laughed at before.....I remember when I was a lad of 18...we all took a road trip upstate to go camping. First incident: as we were coming up on the toll barrier for the Thruway, I commented that I had recently read in the paper that some of the toll collectors make 80 Gs a year..."Your nut's Sweeney! no way........." Two weeks after we got back they were the idiots, when a big article came out in the paper proving what I said. I was also the laughing stock for bringing some nice, dry kindling with me: "AH ha he brings his own wood camping..when the woods are full of it......" The first night they couldn't find any dry wood...I laughed hysterically and abused them for the rest of the trip...ahhhh! redemption is a beautiful t'ing!!! Same with the plane parachutes and the ones for the Towers..IT'S COMMONSENSE!!!!!! Are you goin' to the Gathering Pat????? I wanna party with you dude!!!!!! Mad Dog

• Patrick_2

80 G a year, WOW!!! To think I passed up a chance to work for the pike when I was a mere little lad. Live and learn!! Got a huge chuckle about the firewood, again I will say it seems like we think alike. Went to Pa. for a little weekend trip and was going to take firewood and my buddy said the same thing "Firewood??? We dont need no stinkin' firewood. We are going to be deep in the woods." Well lets say I was enjoying a cold beverage while he was out cutting wood for the fire and hauling it back, life is good!!! Wont be attending the gathering, unfortunately we mainly are on the other side of the business(keeping people cool). Sounds like a good time.
  • Mad Dog
    AWWWWWW shucks....come anyhow..........

we could double team some one..........You'll contribute and you'll leaRn and you'll party with the likes of Sheriff Murph. Mark Hunt, Holohan hisself, Bad Dog, et cetera Mad Dog

• Frank_5
    Frank_5 Member Posts: 49
    WTC

Last year I worked for NYC Dept of Buildings, and went there two days after it all came down, and then again a couple of days after that. The sight of these icons of the free world lying in rubble five stories high brought more than a tear to my eyes. The whole area was covered with white powder (asbestos, I'm sure, with dry wall), you couldn't see the sky for all smoke from the smouldering fires. There weren't any birds in the foul air, and the only animals were leashed rescue dogs. The unforgettable smell of acrid smoke choked your lungs and burned your eyes. There was all I could do just to walk over the crumbled piles of twisted steel and tangeled fire hoses.
    I took two cameras with me stopping over one hundred times during my tour of hell to capture a vision so my future generations can appreciate the price we paid for freedom. There were chiropractors working on firemen as they appeared from the bowels of damnation, merchants opened their stores and set out their provisions for the rescuers. The daisy chain of Komatsu claws, picking and droping for the next in sucsession, and finally into a mile long train of awaiting 40 yd. container trucks.
    This could go on and on, but if any one thing burned itself into my memory, it was the red spray painted words on a building "Morgue this way". I felt I had to go, after all this was my back yard (I live near the Whitestone Bridge in Queens), I worked for the city, and proud to be a NY'er. I helped out in a bucket brigade, sifting through the fine powder, looking for I don't know what. Something still puzzels me, I didn't see any pieces of computers, phones, desks, chairs,or any office equipment. Only paper and the god-awful white powder.
    BUILD THE NEW ONES BIGGER AND STRONGER.
  • Larry C
    Larry C Member Posts: 10
    Ground Zero

Frank, I too was down there shortly after the attack and I must agree with you that the most disturbing thing was the spray paint on buildings.

The demo crews were awsome, trucks lined up like soldiers for blocks. It also hurt watching truckloads of mangled steel pulling through the D.E.P. truck wash station. The truck wash station was there to remove the dust and possible contaminates from all trucks.

Never ever forget
This discussion has been closed.