Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any good A/C men out there?

Wayne_2
Wayne_2 Member Posts: 10
Anyone know what the OHM valve should be for a 2 ton A/C compressor. Its an American Standard Alliance 14, 200/230 volt @ 1 phase

Comments

• Dan Foley1
    Dan Foley1 Member Posts: 55
    American Standard

Wayne,
    I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are looking for the resistance in ohms of the compressor windings, there are three readings: start winding, run winding and total resistance (start + run). My American Standard catalog does not show these values as manufacturers often use different compressors in the same model unit. Try Russ Everson or Chuck Lobaugh at the Baltimore branch of Northeastern Supply. They would have this information. Good Luck! -DF
  • don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    checking winding

Wayne, cant see it with the mirror or is it the standing on the head thing.try this example- common thru start 2.5 ohms
    common thru run 1.5 ohms, start winding thru common and run
    winding 4 ohms.
    now if you are trying to check winding insulation, then a
    megohmmeter is in order.New hermetic motor have higher risistance valve of more than 100 megohms, 50 megohms or less then there or problem that need to be address.
    hope this helps.
  • Wayne_2
    Wayne_2 Member Posts: 10
    Windings

Many thanks. I have 1.9 ohm com/start, 1.4 ohm com/run and 2.8 ohm start/run.
    I know these values vary as to the time the meter is in the circuit so I will assume that the windings are good. This condensing unit had smoke coming out and I thought the compressor burnt but when I pulled the compressor I found that the crankcase heater was burnt. Of course I checked the compressor windings and just wanted to confirm their being good.
    Again many Thanks
This discussion has been closed.