Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Room Fires - Chris Cangelosi PE

Options
I am currently working on bringing a good size boiler room back on line after a large fire. The fire originated from a rupture of a #2 fuel line into one of the 4580 MBH burners. The entire boiler room went up and burned for about 45 minutes with fuel continuing to flow. A safety link valve located in a far corner of the boiler room finally melted and closed the supply.

Every wire in the room is gone as well as every bit of "non - combustable" insulation. A thick blanket of corrosive oil smoke residue is on everything.

We plann to replace everything that is electrical including burners but I am unsure about the effects of high temperatures and corrosive residue on the boiler sections, headers, OS&Y valves, etc. I was wondering if anyone had some experience on this issue.

-Chris

Comments

• sdc
    sdc Member Posts: 12
    Options

I wouldn't worry too much about the boiler itself, but I would replace everything electrical. New burners and new oil line including o.s.v. And this time make sure the firomatic valves are close/attached to burner.
  • sdc
    sdc Member Posts: 12
    Options

I wouldn't worry too much about the boiler itself, but I would replace everything electrical. New burners and new oil line including o.s.v. And this time make sure the firomatic valves are close/attached to burner.
  • Earthfire
    Earthfire Member Posts: 543
    Options
    Fire

I'd get in touch with the boiler manufacturer and get their opinion, in writing, on boiler structural integrity.If the metal was overheated from the proximity of the oil flame and got hit with a stream from a fire hose there may be a problem , If the fire self extinguished on oil flow shutdown there may be no problem with metal integrity.As for corrosive residue a thorough Cleaning and RINSING with some tri-sodium-phosphate ( I love the stuff) energised soaps and pressure washers to eliminate the soot and residue. I would also suggest a fire supression system that would shut down the flow of fuel to the room in case of another fire. One time Opps! Two time, You Fool!
This discussion has been closed.