Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Curious about the Munchkin boiler. - Jeffrey P. Brott

What are the good and bad features and application of the Munchkin boiler?

Comments

• Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Munchkin

We have been installing Munchkins for almost a year now. We have put them on snowmelt jobs,baseboard jobs but mostly radiant installs. Most of our work also includes an indirect water heater. The beauty of this boiler in my opinion is you can reset the entire boiler down as low as you like. In fact it will be more efficient at low water temps. This simplifies piping and control strategies. It also gives off next to no heat from the vessel which is a big plus in the summer when producing dhw. Or when installed in a utility room. It draws it's own combustion air so you can seal the room off. We have also added a heat exchanger on a couple of units that heat the customers pool in the summer. Oh and it does all this at a very high efficiency. They have new controls coming soon to give you 2- temp. control with reset. From what I have seen and used it is the best boiler by far for a reasonable price.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Munchkin Mark H

I haven't found a bad application yet for the boiler.

There were some issues with the air pressure switch that caused some nuisance lock-outs and the early version of the O&M manual wasn't quite complete.
    All of our installs are running fine and our customers are VERY happy.

In October a new control panel will be on the Munchkin and it will have outdoor reset and a few other goodies.

And it will NOT have the air pressure switch.

Mark H
  • Robert O'Connor
    Robert O'Connor Member Posts: 97

> I haven't found a bad application yet for the

> boiler.

>

> There were some issues with the air

> pressure switch that caused some nuisance

> lock-outs and the early version of the O&M manual

> wasn't quite complete. All of our installs are

> running fine and our customers are VERY

> happy.

>

> In October a new control panel will be

> on the Munchkin and it will have outdoor reset

> and a few other goodies.

>

> And it will NOT have

> the air pressure switch.

>

> Mark H

eeeeeeeEEE
  • rees
    rees Member Posts: 3
    modulating but...

currently, it modulates when temps approach the high limit set on the munchkin, such that currently, with outdoor reset and especially when doing dhw as well as radiant you don't really get to see any modulation on the radiant side at all.

thankfully, this is what they are addressing so that it hopefully will then do hi temp dhw and lo temp radiant and on outdoor reset. now, that will be sweet indeed!
  • Mi39ke_2
    Mi39ke_2 Member Posts: 61
    Limited bucks, mean limited warranties

In my market at least, they don't pay any labor when problems arise that are the manufacturer's fault.

I only give the consumer six months or less warranty due to the fact that they are changing the equipment, literature and specifications on an "as needed basis." Translation: R & D in the field. Period. --- Mike
This discussion has been closed.