Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiators-Hugh McTernan

Options
We are renovating a school built in 1924 with steam cast iron radiators for heating. Current temperature control is accomplished by a opening the window. The plan is to redo the system keeping the radiators. A person has suggested we convert to hot water. I like this idea since I believe it will be more efficient and easier to control with an energy management system. I am curious if anyone has done this before? and if there is info available on the output of old
steam radiators? Thanks.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    E.D.R.

There's a book in the Books & More section that can help. It's called E.D.R.

There's also an article in the Hot Tech Topics area that gives tips on converting from steam to hot water.

You can also get some very good advice here if you'd like to keep the steam.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Boilerpro
    Boilerpro Member Posts: 410
    Options
    Controling heating /conversion

If you would like to provide better control of the existing system, Thermostatic radiator vavles are available which allow every radiator to have its own thermostat. In addition, an outdoor temperature responsive control can be installed to help prevent tenants from abusing thier free heat", if spaces are rented. However, before doing all this, get the system if proper running order....Check for a contractor in the find a contractor section. If you are near Amboy, IL, send me an E-mail. I do agree that a water system can be more efficient and easily controlled and maintained, but at what cost? These same control methods are also avialable for hot water systems.

Boilerpro
This discussion has been closed.