Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main venting

On average it takes 5:15 seconds for the steam to reach the riser on the one run that is 32' and the other run that is only about 8' takes an additional 55-60 seconds. I have 3 Gorton #1 on the 32' main and none on the 8' run. The basement is finished and have no access to add a vent on the 8' run. Is the 55 second difference big enough that I should remove 1 of the Gorton #1 to have the steam reach both risers more timely with each other?

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,377
    Hello @RuffinoVino,
    That is one way of looking at the situation. It may waste more fuel but better balance the heat better.

I think it would be better to vent the 8' section better. The fuel savings as compared to the other scenario may eventually pay for the repair of the finished area to gain access to the pipe.

Another possible method is to just vent all the radiators faster on the 8' main.

Are the mains insulated ?
    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    While it may not be feasible to add a vent after the last riser, it might help to add one close to the end of the return near the boiler. How about a photo of how the returns connect to the Hartford loop?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    You may be able to add a Gorton C or D to the pipe side of the last radiator on the short main
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694

On average it takes 5:15 seconds for the steam to reach the riser on the one run that is 32' and the other run that is only about 8' takes an additional 55-60 seconds

There is not enough information here.

It takes 5:15 under what conditions? Is this with the pipes hot, or cold?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • RuffinoVino
    RuffinoVino Member Posts: 52
    Hi ethicalpaul, the boiler in most cases will run about 1 time every hour to 1 and half hours during temperatures 30-45 so not sure if you consider that hot or cold but during this period I'm referring to. I usually keep the thermostat set to 68 and sometimes increase a degree or 2.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    OK so maybe they are warmish. Are they insulated?

Regardless, you really want to do this test timing when the pipes are not (nearly at steam temperature), because otherwise you are timing how long it takes for the steam to warm up the pipes, and not how long it takes the steam to travel the length of the pipes (while pushing the air in front of it)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • RuffinoVino
    RuffinoVino Member Posts: 52
    Hi ethicalpaul,

They are all insulated except for that approximately 16" header coming from the boiler.
  • dabrakeman
    dabrakeman Member Posts: 538
    I would kindly suggest to not create new threads for every question that comes to mind relative to this same system. I think there have been 7 or 8 already starting in Feb. It gets confusing for those trying to help (or at least me) as to what information you have already provided about your system and what information has been previously provided to you.

To kind of "standardize" your timing test to how most tend to track it start your measurement after the boiler has been off for only about 5 minutes. How hot or cold the piping is can significantly change the results. Start your time when you feel steam start coming up the riser at the boiler (5 minutes after shutdown it will still be hot but you will literally have to remove your hand when actual steam starts back up again). Then go down to the location of your vents on the long main or just past the last takeoff on the short main and do the same thing.