Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a thermostat recommendation.

For heating only - HW baseboards
one zone, no valves
24 volt ac - can be battery powered
NO SMART, NO WI-FI, no wireless anything.
programmable. My days off are Tuesday & Wednesday, do I need 7-day or 5+2?
I just want it to automatically turn down the heat setting late at night and back up in the afternoon.

Our old Honeywell died a while back and this is what we are using now:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Pro1-IAQ-T771-T771-Digital-Non-Programmable-Single-Stage-Thermostat-1H-1C

Would this one do the job? https://www.supplyhouse.com/Robertshaw-RS1100-1H-Programmable-Thermostat

Comments

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    You could use a 5+2 if you program the wrong date into it.
    I DIY.
    mark schofieldMikeAmann
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    I would use a Honeywell T4.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    SuperTech said:

I would use a Honeywell T4.

Thanks. This one fits my needs.
    It will go on my next SupplyHouse.com order.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    @MikeAmann The Robert Shaw is a less expensive thermostat. it will do what you need. It will not last as long as the Honeywell T4, if you are in a situation where the thermostat is adjusted daily over the winter. If you are only setting the thermostat once a year at the beginning of the seasons and then turning it off at the end of the season, then the Robertshaw will last as long as you need it.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MikeAmann
  • MikeAmann
    edited December 2022
    @EdTheHeaterMan I bought the Robertshaw RS-1100.
    I need a little advice with the programming. Not everyone works day shift with weekends off.
    My "weekend" days are Tues and Wed, so I had to offset the date by minus 3.
    But I also work from 3pm to 11:30pm, so I am trying to figure out what hours the events (morn, day, eve & night) are in the programming. The directions don't say. Is MORN a 6 hour block from midnight to 6am?
    It's now 2:30 in the morning and the house is cooling off. It's at 67 right now. Should be 69 and calling for heat. Display says MO Night (correct for me) and I did an override to 69.

I tried to keep the programming simple. I only used two temperatures 69 and 65.
    Here is how I have it set:
    M-F
    0500 65
    1000 69
    1445 65
    2300 69

Sa/Su
    0500 65
    1000 69
    1445 69
    2300 69

What I want is this: M-F
    At 11pm, I want to heat to 69 (warming up when I get home).
    Stay at 69 until 5am, then it can drop to 65 (I go to bed). Oil-filled radiator in bedroom.
    At 10am, raise to 69 (I will get up in an hour or two).
    At 2:45, lower to 65 (leave for work).

The only weekend difference is that I don't go to work, so temp remains at 69 at 14:45.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2022
    Let's first start with your schedule.

Then do the minus days and hours to make the thermostat work for your schedule. Not just the minus days as you have indicated. I did this for a customer who only used his vacation house on the weekends. I can't remember how I did it but by setting up the time and date to something different than the actual time and date, I was able to get the air conditioner to start on Friday afternoon so the home would be cool by the time he arrived in the evening after work. Then the AC stayed the same temperature the entire weekend until Monday morning when he went to work. After work on Monday he stayed in the city until he returned the following Friday.

Now you will start on Thursday at 3 PM as the LEAVE time. That should be the Monday Leave at 7 AM on the clock thermostat
    set the clock and date to be minus 3 day 8 hour.
    1. So when it is Thursday at 3 PM in real time the clock thermostat will read LEAVE Monday at 7 AM.
    2. Next you will return from work at sometime after 11 PM. the clock thermostat will have RETURN at 3 PM
    3. Next you will go to sleep at what ever time you normally sleep. I'm picking 2AM on Friday for this example. The clock thermostat will read SLEEP at Monday 6 PM
    4. So at 10AM on Friday you will have gotten 8 hours sleep. and the clock thermostat will read WAKE on Tuesday at 2AM.
    5. Finally you go to work at 3PM on Friday and the Clock on the thermostat will say LEAVE on Tuesday at 7 AM.

8. thru 52. Follow this for the rest of the schedule and you should get back to Monday on the clock thermostat to set up WAKE on Monday at 2 AM (substitute your actual sleep and wake time as needed)

After it is set... put painter's tape over the clock portion of the screen so not to get confused on what the actual time really is.

Hope this helps.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • MikeAmann
    Thanks Ed, that makes sense.
    Minus days was easy - it's the 8 hours offset that I need to adjust for.
    Working on it now with pen & paper. I will reprogram tonight.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • MikeAmann
    The directions use morn, day, eve & night for events.
    Your description used wake, leave, return & sleep.
    So I will assume that
    wake = morn
    leave = day
    return = eve
    sleep = night
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited December 2022
    Correct @MikeAmann

Honeywell uses the terms I am familiar with. Never liked Emerson or WR thermostats
  • MikeAmann
    edited December 2022
    Good. So far, it looks like all I have to do is offset the time by 8 hours.
    To make this easier until I can fine tune, I will use whole hours - 0500, 1000, 1500, & 2300.

I came up with this, just like you outlined above:
    Morn Wake 1000 0200 69
    Day Leave 1500 0700 65 / 69 weekend
    Eve Return 2300 1500 69
    Night Sleep 0500 2100 65
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Seems like a lot of work. With a Honeywell 6000 series, you'd just program it to 69° at 3pm & 67° at 11:30 pm Thursday through Monday, & 69° all day Tuesday & Wednesday. You would need to program the times in 15 minute increments, but I've never found that be an issue in the decade I've been in this trade.
    PC7060
  • MikeAmann
    ratio said:

Seems like a lot of work. With a Honeywell 6000 series, you'd just program it to 69° at 3pm & 67° at 11:30 pm Thursday through Monday, & 69° all day Tuesday & Wednesday. You would need to program the times in 15 minute increments, but I've never found that be an issue in the decade I've been in this trade.

Well, the programming is working.
    @EdTheHeaterMan is a genius! Thanks Ed.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    MikeAmann said:

ratio said:

Well, the programming is working.
    @EdTheHeaterMan is a genius! Thanks Ed.
    I keep telling everyone that....

I'm also modest too

MikeAmannratio