Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stripped Radiator

Options
Sooo, i made a mistake, i was replacing the air vent on a radiator that was leaking, and well. The threads stripped :(. As a complete useless person who has no idea skills, i just closed the valve. How can i screw a vent on without doing any labor to the actual radiator. Otherwise, the other vents are fine, the issue i had in my last post is resolved. I just want heat in my room 🥺

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Need nnned to pick up a 1/8" NPT tap to clean up the threads ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Frankfog2
    Frankfog2 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Big Ed_4 said:
    Need nnned to pick up a 1/8" NPT tap to clean up the threads ...

so a 1/8 NPT tap with one of those T holders should do it?

• MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 998
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Frankfog2 so a 1/8 NPT tap with one of those T holders should do it?
    It will depend how stripped the remaining threads are. But that is the first step.
    Should that not work, then you drill and tap the radiator for the next larger size (1/4" NPT) and install a threaded reducing bushing (1/4 to 1/8 NPT). You will now have new threads to install your vent.
    I am sure there are youtube videos on doing that.
    pecmsg
  • Frankfog2
    Frankfog2 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    MikeAmann said:
    @Frankfog2 so a 1/8 NPT tap with one of those T holders should do it? It will depend how stripped the remaining threads are. But that is the first step. Should that not work, then you drill and tap the radiator for the next larger size (1/4" NPT) and install a threaded reducing bushing (1/4 to 1/8 NPT). You will now have new threads to install your vent. I am sure there are youtube videos on doing that.

One more question, i've been experienced water hammer every morning when the steam turns on after a cold night. Then it's quiet the rest of the day, is this normal, my wife says it's done it since we've moved in but i never paid attention until this week. Any concern here?

• jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Re the water hammer. You could try to pinpoint or find the approximate location of the hammer. Then if you can, look for improper pitch or sag in the steam pipes nearby. Also look for improper pitch of the radiators nearby. There is likely water sitting in the pipes or radiators.
    ethicalpaul