Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Replacement - Supply Chain Availability

BroadwichCT
BroadwichCT Member Posts: 22
edited September 2022 in Strictly Steam
I purchased a home last summer and unfortunately found out that the make up water I used last season was due to the boiler being rusted out the top. I now understand the significance of the number on the automatic feed that was on the boiler when I purchased the home- nearly 800. I didn't know anything about steam systems at the time and the inspector said the boiler was fine. Ugh.

So, after reviewing all the wonderful information on this site I proceeded by measuring my radiators and calculated that my home will need approximately 282 sq ft of steam capacity in a replacement boiler.

I started contacting installers in April for a replacement but the boilers were on backorder. Now apparently they are shipping, but not to Connecticut.

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to proceed. Our boiler shut down several times at the end of last season due to low water so we are in danger of not having heat very soon.

Is there an alternative way of getting a boiler if the distributor won't deliver to the state?

As well, If I understand correctly, it's not likely that contractors are going to want to install a boiler they don't supply.

I'm trying to think outside the box but realize my knowledge in this area is limited so I thought I'd post here and ask the experts.

Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,095
    edited September 2022
    You do not need or want a heat pump

Find the nearest megasteam dealer closest to you in the one of the surrounding states and ask if they
    have the following;

1. the needed steam rated UL/ASME/CE boiler in their inventory with two or more tapping's in the steam
    chest-If the boiler has two or more tapping 's in the steam chest New England Steam Works can
    assemble a double drop header for you to make dry steam.

2. automatic water feed controls
    3. pressuretrol with pigtail
    4. sight glass
    5. guages
    6. Two immersion type low water cut offs
    7. a mechanical double aquastat
    8. water treatment chemicals

Next ask if they will accept a certified bank check sent via overnight delivery for the steam boiler and its needed equipment from a private individual.

Ask them for total cost estimate that can be e-mail or faxed to you so you know how much to have the check made out for and then send the check in an USPS overnight envelope to the supplier.

When that is all done rent a Uhaul truck or trailer to pick it up if your vehicle has a towing hitch and a 2 wire plug or adapter.

You will need a couple of ratchet straps for the boiler skid to hold it in place.

I probably forgot something but the folks here can tell you what I forgot that you need.
    BroadwichCT
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    282 ft of steam. Don't think you really need two tappings. Would be nice but certainly not necessary. Where are you located? Maybe they will be willing to install another boiler??
    BroadwichCT
  • BroadwichCT
    I'm in SE Connecticut.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Bit out of my service area. Most important thing is a qualified installer. Maybe discuss flexibility on boiler selection. It seems like you have a tiny heat load. A little bit more efficiency or a little bit less, will probably not be noticable. I am assuming that you have oil.
    BroadwichCT
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @BroadwichCT

Try @Charlie from wmass if he is willing to go that far he is busy you may have to wait. PM him
    BroadwichCT
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 249
    @BroadwichCT

@New England SteamWorks might service your area.
    BroadwichCT
  • BroadwichCT

Thank you @leonz @STEAM DOCTOR @EBEBRATT-Ed @DJD775

Unfortunately all the supplyhouses I have contacted in the area are backordered on steam boilers.

If I were find a used boiler, what do I need to look for to make sure I'm not getting a lemon? (I know how to test the boiler for rusting out the top by filling the boiler up with water to just below the supply tappings, then remove the top of the jacket to see if it's leaking from the top.)

Anything else that I should look for, just test for leaks?

I live in New London County, Connecticut. If anyone reading this is retired from the industry, lives nearby, and would be willing to teach a mechanically inclined gal how to install a used boiler I would pay for your gas, travel time, and whatever you thought was fair for teaching me. I know that's asking a lot but we are living in crazy times and I don't know what else to do at this point to ensure I have heat this winter.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    She is correct.
    I just checked SupplyHouse and EVERY single steam boiler is either backordered or out of stock.
    BroadwichCT
  • MikeAmann
    edited September 2022
    @BroadwichCT, What size and type of fuel? Chimney venting, I assume?
  • BroadwichCT
    edited September 2022
    @MikeAmann

I'm on fuel oil.

I estimated that I need 282 ft of steam/68k BTU. (Calculations below).

At the end of last season as I was chasing the source of the make up water I replaced all eight radiator vents that were blowing steam, balanced system by adjusting the orfices in each room, fixed 2 leaking valves on radiators, fixed leaking sight glass at the boiler, cleaned out the (brass) pigtail, removed seized radiator vents that were being used as main vents, (replaced with Gorton #2 vents) and had the asbestos removed from the mains (will be reinsulating the mains). Had the tank filter changed out during the boiler cleaning, which is when I found out the boiler was kaput.

• MikeAmann
    edited September 2022
    Open the link that I provided above.
    Do a COMPARE of these 3 boilers (selected by your numbers).
    The Crown Boiler FSZ080BOTZ1SSU has a tankless coil for domestic hot water.
    I blocked the prices out in this pic.

PC7060
  • BroadwichCT
    edited September 2022
    @MikeAmann Thank you for the link. I like that the MegaSteam has the near boiler piping kit. If I were to get that maybe I could install it myself. Hopefully their estimate of shipping is somewhere close to reality.
  • MikeAmann
    Possibly, if you have the skills.
    Just know that the best boiler if not properly installed will not live up to the promised expectations.
    What I am trying to say is that the install is even more important than the equipment!
  • BroadwichCT
    @MikeAmann I understand, only because of what I've learned on this site in the last year.  Do you have recommendations on how to get a professional to install equipment they didn't supply?  (I understand why they wouldn't want to.)
  • MikeAmann
    The MegaSteam has a bit of a wait.
    Factory-Direct Ships in 3-4 Weeks.
    Crown is within days.
  • MikeAmann
    I would hope that the pros would understand about the supply chain problems and not hold that against you. But the Crown and Burnham are reputable name brands, not some no-name knock-off brand, so I think that should work in your favor. Good luck.
    BroadwichCTPC7060